[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/a/


File: 1397891505179.png (198.18 KB, 1000x750)
198.18 KB
198.18 KB PNG
Guide (Start here): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G5C7fCe07CDzYalZYZObzxv_fhw7RUNsLHiMAY-t7FA

DJT Reading List (Add what you read here):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DkEYXMc9vKmrPFwVUrKdzT9UgDQV6JS0V7XhYuTCgto/edit?usp=sharing

Resources: http://pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c

Previous thread: http://archive.moe/a/thread/115274128/
>>
Anonさん,頑張ている!
>>
minasan konichwa
>>
>>115322426
dostedt
>>
One thing I dislike about anki is that it stays on the hard ones for a really long time until I get them and it takes me a little bit to get them so I never Finnish my reps completely
>>
Do any anons have some super duper anki card layouts they'd like to share (just screenshots)?

Kind of mulling over how I want to set mine up and looking for ideas.
>>
You cant learn japanese unless you read and practice speech.
>>
>tfw listening to hare hare yukai just makes life better
>>
>>115322426
BITCH, SIT DOWN.
>>
File: anki draft 3.png (216.97 KB, 578x1040)
216.97 KB
216.97 KB PNG
>>115324100
>>
>>115324470
Doesn't the picture kind of give it away? I'd find myself remembering the words because of the picture, rather than the kanji.
>>
>>115324595
I thought that to than when I started reading I remembered the picture than the kanji. As longas you test yourself on kanji fairly its a good tool
>>
>>115324470
That stroke order diagram is pretty nice. First time seeing something like that in Anki - Is it an add-on?
>>
>>115323634
That's the point of anki.You're the problem.
>>
>>115324470
I wouldn't have the sentence or picture on the front, you end up remembering the sentence and the picture more than the word itself
>>
>>115324470
flashcards aren't for retaining that much information at once
I guess that's how people here manage to waste up to an hour daily on fucking anki
>>
>>115324595
That is an old screenshot, but the most recent one I had. I've removed the pictures because most of them are stupid anyway. Honestly I spent more time on the the template than I actually did using Anki. I'm at a standstill because I really hate flashcards, but in my mind I really think I should be doing them. So I haven't done much of anything for a year.

>>115325105
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39004158/KanjiStrokeOrders_v3.001.zip
It is just a different font. Even if you aren't interested in writing, it lets you see the difference between the printed and handwritten kanji.

>>115325282
In the past I ended up removing the sentence from the front, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to leave it on or not this time.

>>115325394
All I test is the reading and the meaning. Everything else I only look at when I'm initially learning a card.
>>
>>115324152
Good point there my friend. Here's some reading practice for you. You must transcribe all the words in these videos:
http://youtu.be/8PERViBU-7E
http://youtu.be/NgVikJVtuyM
http://youtu.be/awMFMvSPKOo

Glad to help you learn!
>>
>>115325507
>reading
listening.
>>
I'm quite new to studying japanese and I'm curious about something and I wonder if someone can help me out. Well here it goes. According to the book せんせい is writeen in romaji as sensee since the い is just used to extend the "e" but why is it translated as sensei.

Here are others examples:
いもうと ->romaji is Imooto but is translated as Imouto
おとうと ->romaji is Otooto but it is translated as Imouto

why is it that in each of these cases they replaced the o in the romaji with u ? Isn't the う supposed to extend the "o"
>>
File: Anki front.png (27.57 KB, 1262x309)
27.57 KB
27.57 KB PNG
>>115325282
I've been toying with the idea of having both the kanji and the sentence on the front of the card, however the sentence would be hidden in the {{hint:___}} field.

Anki doesn't seem to have a build in shortcut to display the hint field so you either need to click it or install an addon to make it shortcutable.
>>
>>115325606
Just depends on what sort of ramanization they use, some people put ou, some people put oo, some people put ō or even oh
>>
>>115325606
There are different romanization systems for japanese.
>>
>>115325606
When う follows the お sound, it's sometimes ignored and o just extends. Same with い after え sound, but I don't know why your book puts it like that in your book, bc people usually write sensei and imouto and otouto...
>>
>>115325606
romanization is mostly bullshit and there are a couple of different methods. better learn those word properly as 先生、弟 弟、妹。
>>
>>115325606
It just depends on what romaji system your book is using. The book author probably thinks spelling them the way better represents the long vowel in a way that makes more sense to the reader than the way that more directly matches the kana spelling.

Romaji's all a cluster fuck basically and best avoided for learning.
>>
>>115325891
>When う follows the お sound, it's sometimes ignored and o just extends
That's not "ignored". That's doing exactly what it's there for.
>>
Is it better to use mincho for anki rather than gothic (not windows)? I'm used to serifs and I switched to linux and the rounded kanji is easy to read in my browser but it seems confusing when it's blown up in anki.
>>
>>115325477
>It is just a different font.
Interesting. Many thanks for the link.
>>
>>115325781
>>115325841
>>115325891
>>115325910
>>115325916
thanks for your answers I didn't they were different romanizations. That is why it seemed it odd to me. By the way I'm using the genki book
>>
>>115325992
the font will not matter if you learn to draw them
>>
>>115326018
me again forgot to add as a spanish native speaker the romaji in genki make more sense than the ones that use imooto as imouto
>>
Is the most popular way to learn how to draw kanji to just write the kanji when they come up in anki? I try to do that sometimes but it just takes so long
>>
>>115326073
Well, it's too bad you're learning Japanese, not Spanish.
>>
>>115326018
I think Genki stops using romanji after ~2 chapters. There's also an anon-edit of the book that removes the romanji they use.
>>
>>115326332
You know what takes too long? Fucking learning Japanese.
>>
>>115326431
Well yeah I know that by now, but I swear learning how to write kanji doubles the time
>>
>>115326511
>doubles
You're a pretty quick learner if it only doubles the time.
>>
>>115326511
I used to do it as a separate session. I've deemed it worthless, so I stopped trying to learn how to write each kanji.

Maybe when I get good, I'll pick it up again, but for now I just want to learn how to read my LNs.
>>
>>115326604
I can read much better after learning how to drawn the Kanji. It improves recognition of the characters immensely.
>>
>>115326650
I believe that, but I just wanna go fast.
>>
>>115326650
studying recognition also improves recognition immensely
>>
>>115326700
your fahnny joak makes no sense
>>
>つ、ち、ふ can be accepted as tu, ti, and hu on Realkana
What's the point? It has the potential to teach people the wrong prunounciations
>>
>>115326793
you're not very bright are you

>>115326826
fu is just as likely to teach a wrong pronunciation
>>
>>115326826
Because that's how you can type it, and that's how some romanization systems have it. Who cares, learning kana is like a week and then you don't have to use romanization any more.
>>
>>115326856
Good point, I'm not really sure why I'm complaining, but it could trip up a couple people later on.
>>
>>115326826
>[...]ふ can be accepted as [...] hu on Realkana

Interestingly, a lot of linguists would argue "hu" as more accurate than "fu"
>>
>>115326912
Really? I'm still going to say fu though
>>
>>115326936
technically fu and hu are both wrong, it's a sound Eenglish doesn't have, so there's not a letter for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilabial_fricative
>>
>>115326892
So just type it one way. What's the problem?
>>
全然待っていませんよ。 しかし、お腹が空きましたのは確かです。

is this grammatically correct?
>>
>>115327014
fu is closer though. Hu is nothing like it.
>>
>>115326004
>>115325477
How did you install that font on Anki?
>>
>>115328586
I read the manual
>>
>>115328727
So how?
>>
>>115328820
By following what the manual said.
>>
>>115328922
And where specifically?
>>
>>115328987
In the manual.
>>
File: 1413177012033.jpg (67.43 KB, 896x799)
67.43 KB
67.43 KB JPG
>>115328987
>>115328820
>>
>>115329023

You don't know don't you?
>>
File: 1395682762641.png (209.10 KB, 201x383)
209.10 KB
209.10 KB PNG
>>115328820
>>115328987
>>
>>115329051
この人の鎖骨を舐めたい
>>
>>115327246
I think it's grammatically correct, 空いたのは確かです is more natural
>>
>>115329158
>>
File: 83012.png (33.14 KB, 409x386)
33.14 KB
33.14 KB PNG
>>115329158
>>115329158
気持ち悪い
>>
>>115327246
By the time you say this sentence, your wait is probably over, right? So 全然待ちませんでした might be more proper.
>>
>まだ見てるよ
I don't get it.
Is まだ being used as "almost" here? eg "They almost saw "
>>
>>115329940
C
O
N
T
E
X
T
>>
>>115329940
Is there a reason "still watching" doesn't seem right to you?
>>
>>115330002
Guy A is hiding a questionable object behind his back while talking to Girl B and Girl C

>>115330032
It feels kind of strange given the context, but I guess I'll end up going with that one
>>
日本よ。私なんでこんな同盟に配属されたのかしら。
>>
File: Untitled.png (12.92 KB, 520x354)
12.92 KB
12.92 KB PNG
What.
>>
File: 1413044412396.png (101.76 KB, 448x336)
101.76 KB
101.76 KB PNG
>>115330474
That comes up at least five times in Hanahira.
>>
>>115330474
its for study of the ears nose and throat, as the characters would suggest
>>
>>115330474
kanji > greek
kanji > acronym
>>
The past couple of threads have been dreadfully slow.

Have you all been studying?
>>
>>115330474
You've never heard "ENT"? You should get out more
>>
I can only read/write hiragana up until now.
Would しんげき の きよじん be correct for shingeki no kyojin? And when would you use ぢ instead of じ?
>>
>>115331037
read a textbook
>>
>>115331037
>up until now.

You know that implies that you know Kanji at this point, right?
>>
>>115331037
Shouldn't it be きょ instead of きよ? At least in Hiragana, I'm not on Kanji yet
>>
>>115330474
dumbass
>>
>>115331267
If kyo was in kanji it'd be 京 and there might be kanji for jin
>>
What is the best way to romanize stuff like ほんおう? Hon-ou?

Why is onna おんな and not おっな?
Can っん even happen?
>>
>>115327246
>>115329177
>>115329329

>全然待っていませんよ。 しかし、お腹が空きましたのは確かです。

my professor gave me a zero because she said i'm using words that "don't make sense", which is why i'm asking here.
>>
>>115331310
Is this a joke?
>>
>>115331037
>And when would you use ぢ instead of じ?
When it's a word that spelled like that.

This usually will either be in a word where it follows ち (e.g., ちぢむ) or the ぢ will be created by something called れんだく (e.g., はなぢ)

Same thing applies to づ
>>
>>115331267
Yeah, I think you're right.
It's kyo (きょ) and not ki yo (きよ).
>>
>>115331396
You're killing me here.
>>
File: 1385073049015.gif (1.94 MB, 158x246)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB GIF
>>115331037
>>115331267
>>115331310
>>115331396
>>
>>115331396
What is the best way to romanize stuff like ほんおう?
hon'nou

>Why is onna おんな and not おっな?
Why would you ask this?
>>
>>115331425
Sorry, I should stop talking about Kanji seeing as I'm not on it yet.
>>
>>115331107
What?!
>>
>>115331522
You should read an introductory part of any grammar book before posting.
>>
>>115331466
At least I'm right about that.

>>115331607
There's no need to be so aggressive, I made a mistake, leave it at that.
>>
>>115331508
Because it goes the same way as -tta -kke and such terminations, but is spelled differently. Not really a matter to learn, just curious.
>>
>>115331636
>aggressive

Anon, he's just telling you to stop asking dumb questions.
>>
>>115331024
The silence is progress. We're going to learn japanese anon! Were gonna do it!
>>
>>115331690
I actually really need to stop doing that, so I will.
>>
>>115331730
頑張れ, you faggot.
>>
>>115331636
Read the introduction part on kanjidamage, read the beginning of TK's grammar guide (just the introduction) and then come back. It will take you 15 minutes and you won't ask such ridiculous things that will only make you feel ashamed later on.
>>
>>115331676
it's a different sound, thus spelled differently. there's no glottal stop

see >>115331102
>>
>>115331396
http://jisho.org/sentences?jap=%E3%81%A3ni&eng=
http://jisho.org/sentences?jap=%E3%81%A3na&eng=
http://jisho.org/sentences?jap=%E3%81%A3no&eng=
http://jisho.org/sentences?jap=%E3%81%A3n&eng=
>0 sentences found
>>
>>115331926
Yeah, and?
>>
>>115331785
Y-you too

>>115331808
I know what I said was pretty stupid, so I'll refrain from saying stupid things like that again.
>>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc_UVpFayaw
>>
File: 1412280179680.png (74.93 KB, 211x173)
74.93 KB
74.93 KB PNG
>>115331926
Because they're not words.
>>
>>115331967
>>115332050
are you retarded or trolling?
http://jisho.org/sentences?jap=%E3%81%B6%E3%82%8D&eng=
Even if you have something like ぶろ, which isn't a word but part of a word, it will find sentences with that in them. Combinations like っな don't form in japanese, it's んな
>>
File: 1413322422295.png (102.28 KB, 570x327)
102.28 KB
102.28 KB PNG
>>115332235
I must be retarded.
>>
>>115331310
新劇の京陣

Am I doing it right
>>
>昨夜
>ゆうべ
>ゆう
>not 夕

why
>>
>>115332420
http://jisho.org/words?jap=%E6%98%A8%E5%A4%9C&eng=&dict=edict
time words are weird
>>
>>115332420
I always say さくや
>>
>>115332420
Because it's also written as 夕べ and so people started just reading 昨夜 by it's meaning instead of the on reading
>>
>>115332381
I'd watch it.
>>
my professors pronunciation is literally worse than namasensei. so cringe inducing
>>
>>115333214
>taking language courses in school
>>
For those who have sucessfully learned Japanese well enough to be able to read without any help and speak with a japanese person, no need to be extremely fluently but as long as you can understand her and answer back.

Has japanese proven to be worthy of learning in terms of actual use in society/future?
>>
>>115331508
>hon'nou
wrong and retarded
>>
I have to include in my essay for this piece of shit class

"Phrases that include a verb which modifies a noun"

what does this even mean?
>>
>>115333331
>Has japanese proven to be worthy of learning in terms of actual use in society/future?
I think most of us here are learning to please our own dicks.
>>
>>115333331
It has drastically improved my living standards as a shut-in NEET
>>
>>115333309
i'm applying to ivy leagues and it looks really good on my transcript.
>>
>>115333358
It's pretty much the only unambiguous way
>implying there's a right way to romanize
>>
>>115333408
>>115333414
Good enough reasons to learn
>>
>>115333453
no it's pretty much wrong and illogical

honnou by itself is unambiguously ほんのう because there is no "nn" in japanese
hon'nou is being redundant and is neither hepburn nor kunrei-shiki

not to mention that you were asked to provide a romanization for ほんおう, not ほんのう meaning that anything with a double n is wrong from the start

0/10
>>
>>115333632
fine whatever romaji expert
>>
>>115333632
>>115333727
Why are retards arguing over romaji usage? like who gives a fuck
>>
>>115333772
why am I getting called a retard for doing something correctly that even an eight-year-old could grasp

it is a mystery
>>
>>115333392
"I will crush your face."
Your face is being modified.
>>
>>115333880
I don't think anyone called you a retard yet, but if you beg a bit more I might.

Anyway, you're being autistic about something nobody cares about and haven't even answered the original guy's question.
>>
>>115333921
BURN
>>
>>115333632
So what would be your suggestion? Original asker here, not part of the shitstorm.

Hon-ou still looks better than hon'nou, but maybe we can go with hon'ou and everyone walks out happy..
>>
>>115333965
>Why are retards arguing over romaji usage
>Why are retards arguing

you're doing great, by the way, keep it up
>>
Alright, I paid some people for a transcription of くもとちゅうりっぷ and I would like some help with interpreting some of those lines if anyone would like to give it a try. I am not good, maybe N5 level right now, and would rather not ruin myself over a 15 minute film.

Also to note that a lot of the dialogue is song. Here is the film: http://youtu.be/-lmATJcS9Hw/

First one is お花をのぞいておはようさん, it looks like the character is saying hello to the flowers, so I am not sure about how のぞいて is used either. Not sure about おはようさん either (just to make it more polite?)
>>
>>115333444
you must be a senior because if youre 18 youre b8 so where are you applying bro?

im going to broadcast my e dick as a translator on my app, ivy as well
>>
>>115334022
>still arguing about stupid shit instead of answering the guy's question
>>
File: 1413060356049.jpg (128.46 KB, 807x861)
128.46 KB
128.46 KB JPG
Stop shitposting please.
>>
>>115334097
>>115333444
What are you guys hoping to study?
>>
>>115334186
>>115334097
Fucking stop. This is NOT /soc/
>>
>>115334186
physics

ill stop now though sorry >>115334219
>>
>>115334133
>>115334133
Basically DJT
>>
>>115334352
"asking about stupid shit instead of just fucking googling it" is more accurate
>>
how would i say my 19th birthday?

私の九十誕生日?

i really have no clue
>>
>>115334532
私の19歳の誕生日

use numerals for numbers, it's easier to read
>>
>>115334532
>私の九十誕生日?
>19
>>
>>115334518
It's just a question, what was stupid about it? Just help or don't fucking reply at all. It's that simple.
>>
>>115334907
>Just help or don't fucking reply at all
don't tell me what to do, kid

your out of you're depth
>>
>>115335031
>and people wonder why there's more shitposting than actual help in these threads.
>>
>>115335031
>this attention seeking behavior
>>
>>115334532
Learning japanese at 90 would be like setting a countdown to your death. "Let's see how many joyo kanji I can learn before going vegetable!"
>>
>>115335320
The number of kanji you know would form a bell curve over time.
>>
>>115334532
>>115334891
>>115335320
hurr typo
>>
File: 1375289076528.gif (992.80 KB, 250x250)
992.80 KB
992.80 KB GIF
>>115335447
>>115335320
>>
>>115335558
.I think that was a mistake, not a typo. It's okay, you know, anon.
>>
>>115335558
you're in no position to be using "hurr" ironically, lad
>>
このレスにレスした人はコンマ以下の声優と思い通りになる夢を見られます(下2桁)

00米澤円 01能登麻美子 02斎藤千和 03宮野真守 04加藤英美里 05堀江由衣 06野川さくら 07井口裕香 08佐々木未来  09福圓美里 10日笠陽子
11佐藤聡美  12大塚明夫 13原田ひとみ 14小清水亜美 15田村睦心  16寿美菜子 17茅野愛衣 18植田佳奈 19木戸衣吹 20豊崎愛生
21伊藤静  22川澄綾子 23松来未祐  24門脇舞以 25喜多村英梨 26若本規夫 27上坂すみれ 28茅原実里 29後藤邑子 30渕上舞
31伊藤かな恵 32沢城みゆき 33水樹奈々 34戸松遥 35内山夕実 36津田美波 37ゆかな 38三森すずこ 39阿澄佳奈 40井上麻里奈
41中島愛 42水橋かおり 43新谷良子 44野中藍 45悠木碧 46藤田咲 47福山潤 48花澤香菜 49石原夏織 50井上喜久子
51赤坂千夏 52日高里菜 53小山力也 54東山奈央 55早見沙織 56桃井はるこ 57小倉唯 58小野大輔 59田中理恵 60佐倉綾音
61千葉紗子 62牧野由依 63小林ゆう 64野水伊織 65佐藤利奈 66神谷浩史 67大亀あすか 68明坂聡美 69大坪由佳 70子安武人
71小見川千明 72山寺宏一 73矢作紗友里 74平野綾 75保志総一朗 76高垣彩陽 77三上枝織 78MAKO 79下田麻美 80遠藤綾
81大橋歩夕 82内田真礼 83田村ゆかり 84大久保瑠美 85中原麻衣 86竹達彩奈 87斎藤桃子 88福原香織 89金元寿子 90高垣彩陽
91釘宮理恵 92内田彩 93名塚佳織 94浪川大輔 95種田梨沙  96金田朋子 97後藤沙緒里 98伊瀬茉莉也 99この表以外の好きな人1人
>>
それほどでもあるです
>>
How would you translate 何 when used to disregard/diminish a previous statement? Kinda like "no way", "don't worry", but I'd like something more concise that would convey the meaning.
>>
>>115336593
...
>>
>>115336624
"what" doesn't convey anything if that's what you're thinking.
>>
>>115336593
I feel like people here have an irrational aversion to writing things in hiragana
>>
>>115335984
全員しらん!
というか三次元などどうでも良い!
>>
>>115336715
Not really. 何 is more common than なに and is less ambiguous/easier to read.
>>
>>115336715
平仮名乃恐怖
>>
>>115335984
名前が苦手、ごめん
>>
if i wanted to talk about me and my family, would it be

私と家族は
or
私と家族とは
>>
>>115337055
First.
>>
Can 首を切る be used as a synonym for firing (as in firing an employee) instead of beheading?
I have a character that keeps receiving calls from "an employee he beheaded last month", so something doesn't add up
>>
>>115337117
thx
>>
>>115336805
> less ambiguous
Not really. What the fuck else would なに be.
>>
>>115337184
i literally just fucking hovered over it with rikai and it answered your question
>>
>>115337184
You're retarded
>>
>>115337194
Kana will always have ambiguity due to styles of speech.
>>
夜遊びしないで、早寝よう
"i don't play at night, i want to sleep early"?
or "don't play games at night, i want to sleep early"?
or "if there is no nightlife, i'll sleep early"?

maybe i'm missing something.
>>
>>115337298
What else would it be?
>>
>>115337313
I think you're missing context
>>
としあき共はここにいる?
>>
>>115337354
Kana will always have ambiguity due to styles of speech.
>>
>>115337359
Actually the transcription was wrong, it's 寝ろう, so I guess don't play games at night, go to sleep early.
>>
>>115337184
首にする is firing someone. You'll often just see it as くび。お前はくび(首)だ。
>>
File: 1365746558634.jpg (68.21 KB, 720x720)
68.21 KB
68.21 KB JPG
>2011+3
>not building your mining deck from quickly made kanjitomo vocab lists
>not putting all of the information on the front side of the card
>not quickly reviewing it on the go and spending the rest of your time reading
>>
>>115337422
>寝ろう
is that a dialect
>>
File: 1412623227243.jpg (71.77 KB, 460x497)
71.77 KB
71.77 KB JPG
>>115337485
>not putting all of the information on the front side of the card
>>
>>115337234
Derp. I tried Rikaichan before posting but got jack.
The original sentence was 首を切った, and apparently Rikaichan doesn't recognize 首を切る's conjugations.
Still, I should have checked.
Sorry.
>>
File: sdfd.png (6.68 KB, 397x81)
6.68 KB
6.68 KB PNG
>>115337184
no clue bro
>>
Any good nip proxies for posting on 2chan?
>>
>>115337619
Rikai says it's imperative form of sleep, but Google doesn't see it, so I guess it is rarely used, or old-fashioned, or dialect. It's an old film. He is saying はよう too which is old-fashioned 早く if I understand right
>>
File: 1407017543814.gif (1.45 MB, 326x256)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB GIF
>>115337655
You enjoy those reps! I'll be off actually reading.
>>
>>115337485
>intentionally learning nothing
>think you are learning
>>
>>115337876
Don't you know the best way to remember is to forget?
>>
>>115337399
What else could it be? Prove that it could be ambiguous.
>>
Any tips on how to distinguish Passive form and Potential form when it comes to Ru verbs.
>>
>>115337951
I don't think you quite get speaking styles but that's okay.
>>
>>115337797
Why not both?

Also, I'm wondering if this "all in the front" scheme really have some benefit, I've heard somewhere that some people do this...
Do you simply mark all cards as "good"?
>>
>>115337998
context
>>
>>115337998
There is literally one way, context.
>>
>>115338078
>>115338089
Thanks, so I guess I can't really practice those verb forms out of context.
>>
>>115338020
I think you're just full of shit.

>the alphabet is always ambiguous because of speaking styles
>"earth" could mean ANYTHING
>>
>>115338271
>"like" could mean ANYTHING
>>
>>115338271
kana =/= alphabet. inherently different concepts
>>
>>115338271
Well, Earth could either mean ground, the planet or the substance.
>>
if i have
お母さん色んな料理は作りました。
what would be the format/grammer for adding on to it so it says something like
mother made a lot of dishes such as x, y, and z?
>>
>>115338271
Are you being stupid on purpose?
>>
>>115338426
Idk, ask Tae Kim.
>>
File: dumb.png (54.80 KB, 1272x719)
54.80 KB
54.80 KB PNG
>>115338372
>>115338271

から can mean anything! protip: it can.
>>
>>115338415
but it's almost always the word "earth" just like なに is almost always 何

>>115338386
yet your argument is just as retarded with either of them
>>
私なんかのはしたない女でいいの?
>>
>>115338542
初心者 gonna 初心者
>>
>>115338426
お母さんはxとかyとか色な料理を作りました
>>
>>115338532
That's an argument about a specific word, not about kana in general
Can うけたまわりました mean almost anything?
>hurr durr it's ambiguous because speaking styles
>>
File: 22.jpg (23.65 KB, 350x440)
23.65 KB
23.65 KB JPG
>>115338532
That was my point?
>>
>>115338386
>>115338426
>>115338542
Work on your English first.
>>
>>115338542
>like なに is almost always 何
そんなに論破されたいの?
>>
>>115338595
I was reading VNs before you learned the kana little boy
>>
>>115338651
だから最初から証拠を見せろっていってんだろうが
できるなら論破してみろ
>>
>>115338607
はしをわたす。 

cross the bridge or pass the chop sticks? which one does it say faggot? you life depends on it.
>>
>>115338661
For over a decade?

I'm done with this though.
>>
>>115338647
>shift key = english skills
>>115338720
Wow that's totally about kana in general instead of a specific case of homophones. Epic argument dude. Now what else could うけたまわりました mean? Remember, your claim is that kana is always ambiguous
>>
>>115338799
also, it couldn't be "cross the bridge" anyways
>>
Not my claim, but nice name calling. Looking like you can not handle the truth. Anyways maybe you should call japan and let them know that they are learning kanji for no reason, they could just write everything in kana!

Seriously what is even the point of your argument.
>>
>>115338747
Great, next time just don't post in the first place.
>>115338918
>Seriously what is even the point of your argument.
Ask yourself that. In fact, reread it and think about what you're arguing in the first place, since it seems you don't understand that.
>>
Does 助けを聞かないで、。。。 mean without asking for help,...?
>>
>>115338985
I read it as don't ask for help.
>>
>>115339034
Ah, what about
助けを聞かなかったで、お母さんは色んな料理を作りました。
>>
>>115338985
that sounds awkward

助けを求めないで

>>115339034
it can be imperative or just a negative verb linking to the next
>>
>>115339107
Without me having asked, mom made lots of food.

But i suck, grain of salt. sounds weird.
>>
あのおんな…
>>
>>115339238
あのおんな尻でけー
もみもみしたい
>>
>>115339034
>>115339160
>>115339205
h-heh

thx
still a noob i guess
>>
File: 1236453234.png (2.34 MB, 1920x1080)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB PNG
>>115325507
If anybody can understand some of these words, please PLEASE help me out, I want to upload them and they are the only lines I have left.
>>
>>115339107
助けを聞かず、母はいろんな料理を作りました

again 助けを聞く sounds odd to me, so I would use 求めず

助けを求めず、母はいろんな料理を作りました

but this entire sentence sounds wordy when I could just say for the same meaning

母は一人でいろんな料理を作りました
>>
File: 1412525551992.png (175.93 KB, 441x421)
175.93 KB
175.93 KB PNG
中出し
>>
>>115339609
Maybe they want to emphasis that someone did not ask for help cooking. Like a sister wanted to cook for her brother but mom made food already. Could be useful.
>>
>>115339706
literally the pleasure of being cumed inside.
>>
File: 2007-10-28-509.jpg (73.94 KB, 700x525)
73.94 KB
73.94 KB JPG
>>115339706
Translate it, weebs.
>>
File: 1312360893544.png (500.27 KB, 916x984)
500.27 KB
500.27 KB PNG
>>115339706
>>
>>115339706
趣味じゃないな、厄介なことになるから
>>
>>115339805
a discomfort of doing reps outside
>>
could i say "彼の冗談" like

叔父さんの冗談は面白いね

or is there a different word for that
>>
>>115339718
>Like a sister wanted to cook for her brother but mom made food already.
that sentence wouldn't fit this situation, but I get your point

>>115340033
I don't see why not
>>
>>115339412
Fuck off.
>>
>>115340529
切腹をしてください
>>
>>115340678
自殺を要求する
>>
話にならん
>>
Sometimes I see some verbs ending in たげる, is it a contraction of たあげる?
>>
>>115341473
てあげる
>>
雨でくるくるクモさんが

Spider is singing this line, but there's no rain at that moment, would he actually be referring to rain clouds? in which case what would the sentence be? Right now I interpret it as "spider-san is spinning in the rain"
>>
助けを求めないで、よく料理しません母は色んな料理を作りました。

could this be misread as me saying my mother doesn't cook well? i'm trying to say she doesn't cook often.
>>
>>115341766
Maybe you should join lang8.
>>
>>115341565
that doesn't look like a complete sentence
but to try to answer your question, a verb clause (or whatever it's called) doesn't have to be "in effect" to modify a noun
for example 文句を言う客 is just "a customer that complains" and doesn't mean that they're complaining right now, or even that they exist right now

>>115341766
reorder it so that the verbs stay together
verbs that modify nouns must be in plain form
use あまり instead of よく when describing infrequency

あまり料理しない母は、助けを求めないでいろんな料理を作りました。
>>
>>115342247
I tried lang 8, I spend more time correcting other peoples bad english than having people help we with my japanese. Worst part is, anyone can correct you and their correction my be wrong. I had some random guy correct one of my sentences only tell tell me that his way is more polite. That shit eats up you lang8 points that you have for farm forever. Never again.
>>
>>115342339
I think it's time for me to go to sleep shit. That was some bad english.
>>
>>115342339
>Worst part is, anyone can correct you and their correction my be wrong.
Does DJT have some vetting process I'm not aware of?
>>
How do I hit on Japanese girls?
>>
>>115342504
the same way you hit on non-japanese girls
>>
>>115342504
「私は、日本語です。」

the pause is crucial
>>
>>115342431
At least you don't have to grind point on djt to receive bad corrections.
>>
Finally made it to past the first lesson in the genki book (this was earlier in the day). Anyway, I'm glad I can actually make sentences now. That is all I had to say feel free to NOT reply to this post. I just write this to motivate myself.
>>
>>115342282
these are the first 3 lines of the spider in the transcription i was given. it sounds about right.

雨でくるくるクモさんが
同木につるしたハンモック
ゆらゆら銀のハンモック
>>
>>115343122
Fag
>>
>>115342339
Oh, they introduced a point system? I haven't used the site in years. It used to just be a free-for-all, and there was a good E:J ratio so you'd always get multiple corrections on shorter entries.

Still a shit site though, too many people don't know their own language well enough to correct others.
>>
>>115343174
Why the name calling? Have I offended you?
>>
>>115343269
>feel free to NOT reply to this post

It was this bit. Saying that makes you come off like a fag.
>>
>>115343130
>it sounds about right.
um ok

I don't have a clue what you're talking about when you say "right," since I never said anything was "wrong," just that 雨でくるくるクモさんが is not a complete sentence, while "spider-san is spinning in the rain" is, so it's difficult to argue that they're translations of each other

your question was "「XするY」 but there's no X, so is X actually referring to Q?"

and my answer is "no"
>>
>Girl gives guy a handjob
>He says he's going to cum

>もう限界なの?早すぎ
"You're already at your limit? That's too fast."
>ダメに決まってるでしょもっともっと我慢よ
What is this second one? もっともっと我慢よ is just "You need to hold out more" or something, but I'm not sure about ダメに決まってる.
>>
>>115343765
Yeah I see it now. wasn't looking at it from the right perspective
>>
>>115343871
Of course you can't cum now, hold out more, a lot more
>>
>>115344113

That makes sense. Thanks.
>>
>>115343871
~に決まっている is a common phrase that just means something is decidedly true or will certainly happen

怒るに決まっている
学生に決まっている
静かに決まっている

"decidedly" meaning "undoubtedly, undeniably," not that someone or something actually "decides" it (although you're free to think "fate wills it" if that aids understanding)

so don't dwell on 決まる, just keep it simple as "of course"
>>
>>115344276

That also helps. Thanks for the explanation and examples.
>>
>>115344276
I didn't know that either, thanks for the explanation.
>>
File: 4215621.jpg (199 KB, 800x500)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
Slept 20 hours today... Feel's bad...
Lend me your amphetamines anon kun?
>>
生きたくとも叶えられない人
Any help? Especially on that tomo/to mo.
My guess is "people who are never granted their wish to live"
>>
>>115345244
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1472525094

とも is basically ても with a more literary feel. Don't read too much into it.

>people who are never granted their wish to live
You don't have to be so literal. 叶える means "to grant a wish", but it can also just mean "to make (someone's dreams) a reality", etc. There's no need to shoehorn "wish" in there, unless there are context reasons to do so.
>>
>>115345372
Thanks.
>>
File: 1413145386136.png (338.65 KB, 823x720)
338.65 KB
338.65 KB PNG
>>115345213
>Slept 20 hours
H-how?
>>
>全然 can't be used for lengths of time
just asked an actual japanese guy IRL
t-thx whoever changed my fucking sentence last night, you made me get an F instead of an A
>>
>they put english words on the back of their flashcards
>>
>>115346328
sentence was 全然待っていませんよ btw

someone also said to change another sentence into しかし、お腹が空きましたのは確かです。

don't trust retards from this shithole just do it yourself
>>
>>115346330
>implying English is my primary language
>>
>>115346330
gotta start somewhere
>>
>>115346390
Sounds like you didn't know what to ask the japanese guy.
And you were corrected on the second thing here >>115329177 and just chose to ignore it.

Either way you should think about why you're making changes when you make them. You deserve whatever you get.
>>
>>115346390
>thought anons would do his homework
>got the grade he deserved
>>
>>115346584
yeah i did and couldn't find anything wrong with it

i even found fucking japanese shits on twitter using 全然 with 待ち negative form.
>>
>>115346717
wait are people just retarded?
http://jisho.org/sentences?jap=%E3%81%8A%E8%85%B9%E3%81%8C%E7%A9%BA&eng=
>>
> do anki
> remember them by making themsexually graphic
> remember them surprisingly well
>>
File: 1365921834628.jpg (39.45 KB, 649x536)
39.45 KB
39.45 KB JPG
>>115346982
>> remember them by making themsexually graphic
>>
>>115346390
That's total bullshit
Since when can't 全然 be used for 待つ?
It's totally fine as long as it's in negative form
>>
>>115347062
全然待っていませんよ is right then?

i have a feeling this weeb fuck i talked to on the phone doesn't know shit after all, cuz he was just agreeing with everything i said.

my professor is a shit too. i was supposed to "order seafood okonomiyaki" at a restaurant for one of the questions and so i put
私はシーフードのお好み焼きにします
and got 0 pts for that question
>>
>>115347056
Lets use work for example
It has like three readings within the first 2k in the core

I picture the girl I want to fuck and have her repeat the kana as I picture me fucking her and she's yelling the kana and kanji memorization whatever
>>
>>115347218
lol
>>
File: maki.png (163.64 KB, 371x360)
163.64 KB
163.64 KB PNG
>>115347218
What the hell, anon?
>>
>>115347201
>私はシーフードのお好み焼きにします
is fine. I don't know why they would take points off for that. Did you at least get an explanation?

A lot of times with language classes (well, classes in general) they expect you to use a very specific form and even if you use another valid form they will mark it wrong, because they're just trying to grade as fast as possible.
>>
>>115347201
He probably didn't understand your English. 全然待っていませんよ is okay, I'd agree with >>115329329 this guy though. About the professor shit, you have to realize being able to speak/write/read Japanese have almost nothing to do with exams - it's more about how to flatter and anticipating what the professors think
>>
>>115347218
I don't get it. If you do that for all of the words, how do you distinguish any of them? It seems like the fantasy is a bit counterintuitive.
>>
>>115346982
time to do some gijinka
>>
>>115347448
I change it up.
I'm just going to give a few that I did and the examples

Parent: "my parents wouldn't like your big cock in my mouth" while picturing a girl and saying the kana and kanji

I change the girl and the situation and maybe make her giveme sexual rewards if I get it right and consolation prizes if I get it partially right.
It never gets old because its av different girl or two each time.
>>
>>115347642
Your fucked up
>>
>>115347642
Parent as in 親? Jesus, that one practically makes itself for you "see + come == oya (oyeah)".

Though it's actually spicy not 来.
>>
>>115347642
You're one sick kid. The one that "looks" out for you "standing" on top of a "tree" was my way
>>
How do you express something like "When we started eating, blah blah blah"
>>
>>115347989
「食べ始めた時、なんとかかんとか」
「食べ始めた時、うんぬんかんぬん」
「食べ始めた時、どうたらこうたら」
>>
>>115348071
thx
>>
あまり水泳しない
is the same as
あまり水泳しません
, just less polite?
>>
>>115347642
I do
I need to 必要 pussy gurl
since it looks like a big ol' boner
>>
>>115348291
like あまり水泳しない子供 would be the same as あまり水泳しません子供
>>
>>115348342
>ます
>relative clause
You should have paid attention in Japanese 101
>>
>>115348446
i don't even know what that shit is in english
>>
>>115348446
thx for giving the term relative clause, i'm reading about it now.

so ます ending (whatever it's called) can't be used as a relative clause?
>>
>>115348623
found it.
http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/relativeclause.html

for anyone as retarded as i am there's the link
>>
>>115347642
This is starting to sound like a tulpa.
>>
>>115348699
I wish I found this when I was learning relative clauses.
>>
Anyone know of any web novels and/or LNs posted in raw text online? I'd love to be able to rikai my shit while I read. I know OCR programs are a thing, but it'd be nice not having to mess with that just to get some reading practice done.
>>
What's a way to say that I received a compliment? Can't find a verb for compliment or praise or anything on jisho
>>
>>115350177
Try the usual place
>>
>>115350247
褒める
>>
>>115350411
ありがとうございます
>>
>finally a my weekend tonight
>everybody is drinking and partying
>I try to force myself to have fun by doing my other degenerate brain numbing hobbies
>Always go back to anki and half ass reading at least trying

When did you realize that you were autistic about this?
I should learn the history around Japan or something also
>>
File: SecretAznMan.jpg (14.34 KB, 256x317)
14.34 KB
14.34 KB JPG
>>115333214
>literally

リタリ
>>
>>115351335
Thanks for the blog update.
>>
alright, I have been wondering this for so long, yet I can't find anything that means what I want.
I want to say "to try" like "I will try to do it", but all of the forms that are close don't actually mean that.

ーて見る means to try something (to see what it is like)
ーようとする means to try something, but was futile
ーようにする means to try to ensure

so what is it I need to say? Do I have any of the listed ones wrong? Am I just autistic?
>>
File: 1367728346681.jpg (39.81 KB, 290x441)
39.81 KB
39.81 KB JPG
>>115351690
no ;)
>>
bump to prevent thread death,
>>
>>115350400
Which is?
>>
I dont really watch anime but there isnt any Japanese classes at my college
If I join the anime club will I be around likeminded people even though i dont watch anime and just learn Japanese?
>>
>>115352703
usualplace.jp
>>
if i say
確かに、料理はとてもおいしいですが、少々辛いでした。
people will know i'm saying it's spicy right?
>>
>>115351774
>I will try to do something
やってみます means this basically. If you want to emphasize that it might not be possible you could add something like できるだけ, etc. You shouldn't try so hard to look for exact analogues, because they don't exist. There is no single "try" in Japanese, just like there is no single translation for てみる in English.
>>
File: fat nerd.jpg (64.46 KB, 1280x720)
64.46 KB
64.46 KB JPG
>>115352759
>>
>>115352784
If you pronounce it からい yes. If you pronounce it つらい they will be confused
>>
>>115352784
辛いでした should be 辛かったです.
おいしい should also be おいしかった if you've already eaten it.
People with think that you didn't like the spiciness of it.
>>
>>115352866
cute
>>
見事なまでに注目されてないな」

Does this mean, not splendid enough to pay attention?
>>
>>115351774
つとめる
>>
>>115352805
Well, yeah. I know not to look for exact analogies, but I would like to know how to say that. Knowing how to say something like "I will try to get it done later" or "I'm trying to fit this in my car" would be useful.

Alright, so if やってみる is close, then how do I use it? like 勉強してやってみる? I will try to study?
>>
>>115353201
>>
>>115352759
>Not all people who like anime want to learn Japanese
>Not all people who want to learn Japanese like anime
>>
what would be the difference between
どら焼きを食べている、皆は旧軍人叔父の軍談を聞きました。
and
どら焼きを食べながら、皆は旧軍人叔父の軍談を聞きました。
in this context?
>>
>>115353201
one is not grammatically correct
>>
>>115353478
>I know not to look for exact analogies
Do you? Because it sounds to me like you're looking for an exact Japanese definition of "try". There isn't one. There is no one phrase that will mean everything "try" can mean, or even close. And it's not used in Japanese like it is in English.

If you start off thinking "there's this phrase I want to say in English, how do I say it in Japanese?", you're going to fail most of the time. You have to think in terms of situations. Don't think "how do I say 'goodbye'", think "what do I say to someone when I'm leaving work", or "What do I say to someone when I'm leaving the country for a year and won't see them". These are both "goodbye" in English, but would be different words in Japanese.

This is the problem you have here. "I will try to get it done later" just means "I'll maybe do it later, if I have time". There's nothing specifically "try" about it, it's a fairly idiomatic usage of the term. The Japanese could be something like 時間があれば, etc, but it depends really highly on who you're talking to and what you're doing. However, "I'm trying to fit this in my car" implies actual effort, and is a different sense of the word. This would be something like 車に詰め込もうとしている. If you're not able to see these differences, it's because you're too caught up in the idea of everything being represented as English. They are different concepts, and you should work on separating them.

"I will try to study every day" for example would be something like 毎日勉強するようにしています. v+ようにする indicates habits, and the "try" is implied.

What it comes down to is you need more exposure to Japanese writing, so you can better understand how and why phrases are formed. This is why so many common sources consider Japanese difficult, because there are very few analogues. I haven't learned any Spanish or whatever, but I imagine their "try" is much closer to ours in every way. But even with romance languages, there will be differences like these.
>>
>>115354355
yeah i know this fuck ass assignment requires me to write about a past birthday dinner event or some shit, i have to use ている though. no idea how to sneak it in there.
>>
>>115354441
Switch it so it's 聞きながら食べている. Duh.
>>
>>115354441
wait can i use an adjective with ている?
like
面白くている
or some shit
>>
>>115354355
Who the fuck am I quoting
>>
>>115354486
No, you can't.
>>
>>115354480
EPIK MEMES :"" ))) DDDD XXX :"")))))) :^^))))
>>
>>115354563
...what? What part of my post had anything to do with memes? It just seems like an easy and obvious fix if you want to say "we ate dorayaki while listening to war stories".
>>
>>115354528
srs
u cant use ている at the end of adjectives?
>>
>>115354602
idk that wasnt me
>>
>>115354688
No. They are already states.
>>
>>115354688
go away and ask for help at office hours
>>
>tfw no bravely default hirogana guy
>>
>>115354486
Could you at least read about the stuff you're trying to do before asking if your shitty sentences are correct?
>>
>>115354563
Dude, what the fuck?
>>
>>115354480
forgive me cuz i am probably wrong, but my shitty japanese class taught me that ながら has to come first, like

clause a ながら, clause b.

and that clause a is the less important clause, as in it's not the one being focused.

is this bullshit like the rest of the class?
>>
>>115355124
>and that clause a is the less important clause, as in it's not the one being focused.
It's not wrong, but it is misleading. 聞きながら食べる and 食べながら聞く are both fine, but it depends on what you want to say. If you want to treat the story as active and the dorayaki as background, then just do 食べながら聞いている.
>>
>>115355273
i have to talk about something in the past though. wouldn't ていた be past and ている be present?
>>
>>115355578
Stories will sometimes use present tense to generate a sense of flow or "current-ness", but yes, it would be 聞いていた.
>>
Kimchi ha, minna san
watashi wa japaniizu, just like you
let us discuss secret plan to annihilate corea
>>
>>115322091
how do i unhide all of the rows in the spreadsheet?

and why is anyone just able to edit it?
>>
Why do niconico commenters sometimes type 88888888? What's that supposed to stand for?
>>
>>115356227
パチパチパチパチパチパチパチパチ
>>
>>115356227
>google
>8888 slang
パチパチパチパチパチ
Took me just a few seconds to find a relevant answer. Try google next time, anon. It works wonders.
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omuYi2Vhgjo

Why is this kid do talented?
>>
alright since i seem unable to write coherent fucking sentences in this bullshit what's wrong with this

全体的、誕生日食事会はすごく楽しかった。だから今、私の次の誕生日は熱心にまっている。
>>
>>115346982
>>115347218
>>115347642
the shit you see in this thread
>>
>>115350177
http://yomou.syosetu.com/
>>
>>115354272
The first sentence is simply incorrect, ている cannot connect sentences
>>
File: 1334921381025.jpg (39.41 KB, 472x472)
39.41 KB
39.41 KB JPG
>Watching some Japanese TV for listening practice
>They're in a department store and some gaijin song starts playing in the background
>I WONDER WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I WAS AT MY WORST DOWN ON MY KNEES
>Watching ice skating on the Japanese sports channel. A song starts playing after one of the ice skaters finished skating
>I WONDER WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I WAS AT MY WORST DOWN ON MY KNEES
>Watching Japanese news
>I WONDER WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I WAS AT MY WORST DOWN ON MY KNEES
>Watching another game show
>I WONDER WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I WAS
>Switch to a random channel and within a maximum of 20 minutes..
>I WONDER WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I

What is with Japan and this fucking song? It can't be a coincidence, I swear I've heard this at least 15 times in the last three days.
>>
>>115359501
They should have at least had the courtesy to choose a good song.
>>
>>115359501
Pulled the song up and I've never heard it before. Huh. I watch Japanese TV pretty often too.
>>
>>115359501
When Japan finds a foreign song that they like then they play it endlessly for months. It's why Michael Jackson is still on the front page of the PSN music store even though it's almost 2015.
>>
>>115359661
I remember like 5 months ago they would seriously never stop playing "Let it Go". Every fucking commerical break, every fucking newsbreak, every variety show. I fucking hate Frozen.
>>
The Japanese have a very hard time digesting the concept of variety
>>
>アンコが頭から尻尾までぎっしり!
>という人気の店で焼かれています。
>あなたは頭から派?それとも尻尾から派?

3 consecutive lines from an item description. How does the という work here with it seemingly quoting nothing?
>>
>>115360047
It's quoting the first line
>>
Why is it that I get in the best studying when I'm taking a shit and sitting on the toilet?

If I bring a Japanese book with me when I'm taking a shit then I can focus completely on reading it without any nagging distractions in the back of my mind.
>>
>絵に触らないでください。

Why not 絵を触らないでください。
>>
>>115360613
I don't know which one of those is correct and natural, but that kind of question is why I study vocabulary indepth. Different words deal with different particles. It's best to just view a lot of examples and accept it rather than ask why something isn't a certain way.
>>
>>115360613
It's intransitive
>>
File: 1f5564a2.jpg (24.37 KB, 300x400)
24.37 KB
24.37 KB JPG
>>115359501
>Watching (listening) to some Japanese TV while browsing /a/
>”東京ぎゅうにゅう”
>”東京ぎゅうにゅう”
>”東京ぎゅうにゅう”
>getting irritated
"What the fuck is 東京ぎゅうにゅう?"
>tune in and watch the news feature
>It's a brand of milk.
>The news was covering it like it was the most delicious thing in Tokyo.
>Apparently there's also a cafe using said milk brand in it's products.

Now I want to try some.
But I'm lactose intolerant. ;_;
>>
>>115360935
So are 90% of Japanese
>>
What is your opinion of the site called WaniKani?

I've been using it for the past year, but I'm starting to question if that was a good idea.
>>
>>115361077
Too limiting, way too much money for something I can easily put together in Anki for close to nothing.
>>
>>115361077
I haven't used it, mainly because I'm stingy and I found other learning materials that I can acquire without paying.

All I can say is that if you feel that your chosen learning method is not working out for you (after using it for some time), ditch it and find another one that does work.
>>
>>115361077
its a lot better now that I made a program to copy the entire site onto anki cards and dont pay for it
>>
Is ほど attached to the word before it or the word after it? I assumed it was attached to the word before it because that seems to be how it usually works with Japanese particles, but I don't really understand this too well when I see it when I'm reading and the examples on Tae Kim didn't really clear it up for me.

>The noun 「ほど」(程) is attached to a word in a sentence to express the extent of something. It can modify nouns as well as verbs as seen in the next example.
>今日の天気はそれほど暑くない。
>Today's weather is not hot to that extent.
>寝る時間がないほど忙しい。
>Busy to the extent that there's no time to sleep.

If it's attached to the word before it then wouldn't that cut out what the ほど is expressing?

>寝る時間がないほど忙しい。
>No time for sleep - ほど - busy
>Busy to the extent that there's no time to sleep.
>寝る時間がないほど
>No time to sleep to the extent...

It doesn't really make sense anymore if you drop the ending, so does that mean that ほど is attached to the word that follows it?
>>
>>115361871
寝る時間がないほど忙しい = Busy to the extent that there's no time to sleep.
寝る時間がないほど = (implied circumstance) to the extent that there's no time to sleep.

He's busy to the extent that he has no time to sleep, he shits himself to the extent that he has no time to sleep, etc.
>>
>>115361871
Xほど adds meaning to the clause it is in, with X specifying the ほど

That's how it usually works with other similar particles

>>No time to sleep to the extent...
You've flipped that around the wrong way
>>
>>115360445
Maybe because you won't have to worry about getting so absorbed in anki that you sit your pants.
>>
>>115362239
>>115362315
I think I understand it a bit more now, but I'm still stuck on the sentence that I saw it in.
>自分は透き通るほど深く見えるこの黒目の色沢を眺めて、これでも死ぬのかと思った
At first I thought it was being used to describe the extent of how transparent the eye looked, but I think I flipped that around and now I'm not really sure what it's saying at all.
>>
http://youtu.be/-lmATJcS9Hw

At around 0:42, could you help with transcription/interpretation?

Transcription by fluent speaker:
雨でくるくるクモさんが
先つるしたハンモック
Clearly the 先 is wrong, I was thinking something with 木, not sure.

More importantly it doesn't really make sense to me, what does the 雨 mean when it's supposed to be sunny when he's singing? I was trying to find different readings for what I was hearing and came up with something about weaving (his hammock I guess), but I don't want to guess. I messaged the guy who transcribed it for me, but he made a bunch of odd typos/mistakes, so it would be nice to have a second opinion.

For context, character is a spider that looks like a black guy on a tree with his web woven and holding a hammock made of web in his hands.
>>
Why do north koreans like the Matrix?
Because Neo is the 朝鮮 one.
>>
>>115362492
透き通るほど is describing the extent for 深く見える
>>
File: Kohina smile 1.webm (147.28 KB, 1280x720)
147.28 KB
147.28 KB WEBM
>>115362767
Dammit anon.
>>
>>115362667
I can hear a に before つるした
先に吊るしたハンモック makes sense: hammock already hung
(although I'm not certain it is 先)

Earlier bit doesn't sound quite like 雨で but I've no idea what to suggest instead
>>
>>115362767
S - shut up.
>>
File: 1401278365935.png (93.93 KB, 186x283)
93.93 KB
93.93 KB PNG
How should I practice if I want to develop the ability to "feel" Japanese?

My English is far better than my Japanese, but what's strange is that I technically know more about Japanese grammar than English grammar. I was never good at the technical parts of English and I had to throw out the grammar books and feel my way through the language. Eventually I got to the point that I could speak, write, read, and understand English but I still can't explain any of the rules to you. I just understand what looks/sounds right and what doesn't. I want to start developing that skill with Japanese but I don't know how to go about doing that.
>>
>>115363710
Start reading
>>
>>115363710
>I want to start developing that skill with Japanese but I don't know how to go about doing that.
Massive amounts of immersion is your only option if you want to do the same.
>>
>>115363710
If you've ever seen Asians study then you know that they make a lot of progress in whatever they do. They burn a path through whatever they're studying and fly past everyone else. What is the main difference between westerners and East Asians when it comes to studying? The difference is a blind devotion to working hard.

As westerners, we have been taught to question everything. It's not enough for us to study, we have to question it and understand why method a method works, then we have to compare the methods, ask questions about which method is best for us, and do all of these things that take up a lot of time but aren't actually studying. None of that matters and Asians understand this. All you have to do is look at the goal that you want to achieve, look at the most basic steps that you need to take to reach this goal (grinding vocab, reading practice, listening practice, etc), and then stop right there, stop thinking about it, and you just work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work and then you will not only reach the goal that you've set for yourself but you will crush it.

Talk less and grind more is the answer to 99% of all questions that are asked on DJT.
>>
>>115364362
>Work harder! Headbutt harder, Makoto-kun! I'm sure, if you just work hard enough, the Great Chinese Wall will break! Now! I can almost see it cracking...
>inb4 learning Japanese is not headbutting a wall.
First, questionable. Second, the point is that there are always more efficient ways to do things and also there are always ways to do thing which give no result. If I diligently read every single textbook for Japanese learning which is available in English 200 times through, and memorised all the contents, I still would not know Japanese even on intermediate level.
Whether you like it or not, it's a fact that some level both of intelligent planning and diligent hard work is involved in success as a prerequisite; just working hard doesn't always work. And it's kinda in balance because the less intelligent planning you do, the more hard work you need to do to make up for it, and vice versa. Sure, there are ways to waste time and call it "intelligent planning", but it does not bear on the discussion.
That's just how the world works. You can't just forget about planning completely. Sometimes grind is worthless, and if anything, it's also extremely grueling, which why people try to find the method that avoids it the most, when possible.
In other words, you are ridiculously wrong. I get the point you're making (there are people who only debate about learning Japanese without ever actually doing it), but you're being extreme about it.
You're just wrong.
>>
>>115364994
I'm not him but how is grinding not always helpful when learning a language? You're going to have to learn those words at some point.
>>
>>115364362
Someone once told me, "Work smarter, not harder."

Working on a well planned regimen can take you farther than diving head on without knowing what you're doing. With that said, of course a balance of both smart work and hard work is optimal.
>>
>>115365257
I'm not saying that grinding is useless. I'm saying that grinding works because there's already a good method behind it in the first place, developed by people who researched how to learn best and who probably discussed it with others and learned about how do people learn things. And without it, grinding would be vastly less effective.
Obviously you're going to have to learn them. Obviously, hard work is necessary, as is grinding. I'm just saying that leaving the search of the method and intelligence out of equation entirely... is stupid and wrong.
>>
Proper memory techniques are vastly more efficient than any kind of grinding.

Some degree of repetition is always necessary but you are wasting massive amounts of time if your studying relies solely on that.
>>
>>115365435
Anon from >>115364994 and >>115365471
Exactly what I'm trying to say. I probably should just have used the expression, but I cannot into brevity.
>>
>>115365477

Now that I think about it I should dig up the book I have on the subject, I remember trying out one of the techniques in it and it took me about two days to learn a list of 200 completely random words in the correct order. Felt pretty baller, should help with this stuff too.
>>
>>115364994
The wasted time that goes into doing all of this excessive planning will usually end with you discovering a method that only gives a marginal increase in efficiency. If you compare the various tried and true methods to do pretty much anything then there's a very miniscule difference in results. This isn't really complex, language learning is mostly just grinding.

It's true that you shouldn't go in completely blind. That's why I said "look at the goal that you want to achieve, look at the most basic steps that you need to take to reach this goal" instead of saying "Look at the goal and work" but the amount of time that should go into that research process is one day at the absolute most. It takes no longer than a day to do a few google searches, read about the most well known and accepted methods for learning Japanese, and get started.

At this point, a lot of hard work will sort out all of the minor questions like whether you should use RTK or not. If you work hard then it doesn't matter because you will finish RTK in less than a month and move on. The same is true for most things that DJT spends far too much time arguing about. The results from beginner resources like RTK are debatable, but they all require a small investment of time and a diligent worker will get past it after barely any time at all. The real danger comes from spending a lot of time on places that discuss learning methods and then trying dozens of different gimmicky methods in an attempt to minimize the amount of hard work and find the one true road to learning Japanese. That's what gets people stuck in perpetual beginner loops. If you pick a plan and stick with it then you will progress far beyond the people who just talk on DJT or koohii and look for better ways to do everything. Working hard with an inefficient method will end up being far more efficient than restarting dozens of times because you think that you finally discovered the most efficient way to learn Japanese.
>>
http://www.japanprobe.com/2008/08/20/scary-japanese-insects-are-our-friends/

And here I was thinking I wanted to visit Japan.
>>
>>115365984

>If you compare the various tried and true methods to do pretty much anything then there's a very miniscule difference in results.

I'd like to see the data from these comparisons you speak of.
>>
For some reason Anki now gives me the new cards from the latest added.
When I add word A then B then C I get them in order C,B,A. I can't remember changing anything in the settings but I'm sure it was the other way around some time ago.
Anyone know what's up with that?
>>
>>115366051
>ability to jump
Yeah, I'll just move to the north pole I guess.
Fucking insects.
>>
Goddammit anons. Learn to write concisely. By the time other people finish reading what you've written, the points that you wanted to get across would've been lost in them because
>wall of text
And you have to actually hold your opponent's attention if you want to have a meaningful argument, you know. A wall of text will not help you with that.
>>
>>115366130
Think about what the methods are. They all start with a gimmick, something to get your feet wet, and then they become identical to each other. 99% of these methods are just the same exact thing and only 1% gimmick of it is the initial gimmick.

>Do rosetta stone for a month or two. Then grind vocab, read, listen, write, and talk to people.
>Do RTK for a month or two. Then grind vocab, read, listen, write, and talk to people.
>Go to a college class, and when you're not in class then grind vocab, read, listen, write, and talk to people.
>Do KanjiDamage for a month or two. Then grind vocab, read, listen, write, and talk to people.
>Learn the radicals and practice writing kanji for a month or two while you also grind vocab, read, listen, write, and talk to people.
>Do a Core deck for a month or two while you also grind vocab, read, listen, write, and talk to people.

The results from taking any of those paths will all be pretty much identical because the majority of it will always end up being "grind vocab, read, listen, write, and talk to people" and if the method suggested doing something significantly different then you wouldn't be learning Japanese anymore because those things are unavoidable for the most part. I'm sure there's some crazy methods out there that are a complete waste of time, but that covers all of the well known methods that I've heard of.

The horror stories that you hear can almost always be boiled down to a lack of hard work. They only took the college class and did nothing outside of it and they're still a beginner after four years or they poked at RTK for a few minutes each day, never did anything else, and then they wonder why they've made little to no progress after a few years, and so on.

If you work hard (at least 5 or 6 hours a day) then it doesn't matter how stupid the gimmick is because you will quickly work past it and get to the meat of the language.
>>
File: amphetamines5.jpg (221.48 KB, 1024x866)
221.48 KB
221.48 KB JPG
>>115366577
>wall of text
That's what it looks like when multiple amphetaNEETs are battling.
>>
>>115365984
Are we talking about purely Japanese learning or about absolutes of hard work and planning?Different problems would give different results.
While if we are speaking purely about Japanese, your point is more sensible, I still don't completely agree.
First of all, it's not necessarily true that you can find all the efficient methods right away. Example: when I began taking first baby steps towards thinking of maybe trying Japanese, I didn't know English on the level where I could read it effortlessly. So, I wasn't able to find recommendation of TK or Anki or Heisig but I found supposedly good textbook on learning Japanese in my language. I couldn't work with it and shortly afterwards I dropped it, despite trying to work hard at it; it just didn't go for me. Next time I tried learning Japanese was when my English skills progressed considerably, so I could actually use English resources, and guess what?.. They were leagues ahead, and overall better. I actually managed to work with them and learned quite a bit, and I actually got some determination to learn the language from it. And the thing is?.. At that time I still didn't find either Anki or ITH because I didn't know where to look for things required for learning! I so wish I found DJT right away. But the thing is... Not everybody can find good materials right away.
Second is related to the first. The choice between is, in reality, a false dichotomy. When I was speaking about balance of hard work and planning I actually didn't mention the third variable: time. The thing is, is, if you both from time to time look around for things in Japanese AND work hard every day, overall time used to learn Japanese shrinks. On the other hand "work hard"-"plan good" payoff was implied to have "time" as constant which doesn't shift.
(cont)
>>
>>115367016
(cont)
You don't actually need to chose one or the other. Overall, while hard work should take a lot more time, visiting DJT and such sometimes can help immensely! I wouldn't have found Anki if I just forgot about stuff. I wouldn't have tried ITH if I ignored stuff.
Hell, there was actually a period when I tried avoiding all recommendations and just doing my thing, and guess what, it didn't work. I got bored from seemingly non-existent progress, and then RL just forced me out of this, which was because I had no determination to hold on, which was because all my enthusiasm disappeared, which was because... I used faulty learning methods.
Third, while there are people who never actually learn Japanese despite spending years, it is not because of the fact they're spending time on forums; it is because they are lazy bums who don't want to actually work and so find excuses not to, which happen to be through such forums. The reason is the lack of hard work, not the abundance of method discussing. Do you think that if these people changed methods as often as they do, but during the life of the method worked through it diligently, they wouldn't have learned Japanese anyway? I find it hard to believe. You're mistaking the symptomes for the source of the disease.
Overall, while you do have a point, you were not able to shape it into the right idea. There is a problem, but you found the wrong solution.
That's what is wrong about your comment. Thinking about what do you want to learn is not bad. Lack of diligence is.
>>115366577
That would require me to restructure my whole writing style and way of expressing thoughts. I plan to do it, but it would take time. So, not today. Sorry for TL;DR's.
>>
>>115366680
Not the same anon, but...
You're oversimplifying stuff. I can grind words from a textbook or through Anki or through RTK. Technically it is all "grinding vocabulary", but they are all vastly different, and you only chose the methods which gained approval. There are methods to learn Japanese which would not plain work. And to find methods that work, you need time.
Plus, not all methods work equally for anybody. I was bored by Rosetta Stone and it quickly made me lose all enthusiasm. And yet, RTK is one of the best thing I found, and it works wonders for me.
And after these methods are finished, you might there is pretty much one, maybe two ways to learn further on, which is reading and talking. But in fact, even they are vastly different! Manga are easier than VNs, but overall I found reading VNs more enjoyable purely because of ITH. This method worked for me better. They're both reading, but yet there are differences in how much does each help me. I could try reading through manga anyway, but it would be less enjoyable, because I wouldn't look forward to it as much.
You seem to forget there is such a thing as enthusiasm, because you shifted discussion in the ideal world, where everyone always works hard. But if you work hard and there are no result, while in time you would still achieve something, you most likely would lose diligence because you're bored out of your mind, and if this Japanese tortures you so much, why are you doing this, you will ask.
And that's the thing you fail to grasp.
...
I'm bored, and I should really go do my reps. So, sorry, but I'm leaving. I expressed my opinion, and am completely content with that. Sorry if this seems like I'm ruining the argument by leaving midway; I really have to go.
See ya later.
>>
>>115366680

Yeah naw, if you don't have any kind of data to back up your claims I'm not going to buy your big speeches. You list and disregard different methods as "gimmicks" and then generalize the entire rest of the process under "hard work", as if no various methods or techniques can be applied to that part as well. Efficient studying methods and techniques are not limited to beginner-level studying whatsoever; everything from learning vocabulary to learning writing can be done efficiently and intelligently the whole way through. And this isn't limited to languages either.

Obviously you can brute force everything simply by throwing enough hours at it, but let's not pretend that's the only way to get things done.

Also stop using stupid extremes like "99% of it is the same guys" (BS number pulled out of nowhere) and "poking at RTK a few minutes each day" (which is not remotely a good example of an average studying method).
>>
File: 1390137797076.jpg (753.85 KB, 1932x1928)
753.85 KB
753.85 KB JPG
>>115367016
That's true, I take it for granted that I was fortunate enough to already know about DJT before I started. Even so though, there's not really any reason for people to argue about methods within DJT because everything that they need to know to create a plan and get started is in the OP. The method arguing inside of DJT doesn't really amount to much more than procrastination dressing itself up as min-maxing that at best can only yield a miniscule efficiency increase compared to just following the guide in OP from day one.

>>115367046
>it is because they are lazy bums who don't want to actually work and so find excuses not to, which happen to be through such forums
I agree that laziness is the biggest part of this, but I also think that those forums give them a way to justify procrastination without feeling bad about it. If they didn't have the environment of the learning community to reinforce their lack of studying then they wouldn't be able to blame anyone but themselves for their lack of progress. For example, on the more extreme end of it there's places like WaniKani that are a great example of how people can get into a cult-like echo chamber where everyone else is just as lazy and incompetent as they are, and after spending a lot of time in this echo chamber of laziness then they begin to think that it's the norm to progress at a snail's pace and they never think that they might be doing something wrong when they've been studying for two years and can't even read anything yet. They think it's perfectly normal though because everyone they talk to is just as lazy as they are.

If they were alone with their studies then they would probably progress at a faster speed because they would feel like shit every day that they wake up and see how they've barely progressed at all. On the other hand though, I guess places like DJT might push people to work harder when they see those people who pull 14 hour days.
>>
>>115367539
Brute forcing is the only way to get good at language.
>>
>>115367972

You do whatever works for you, friend.
>>
is there a word for main course? as in of a meal?

i'm trying to say after dinner, it was time for dessert.

i can't find a word for "main course" or anything though.
>>
>>115368106
Enjoy jerking off to Anki statistics.
>>
>>115367539
>Obviously you can brute force everything simply by throwing enough hours at it
I don't believe that there's such a thing as brute forcing because of the way that the mind works. I remember reading awhile ago about how East Asian students were asked about their studying methods and while they all practiced rote memorization, they still admitted that they developed what they thought of as silly little memory tricks like stories and things like that to help them remember things. Basically they were forming mnemonics and similar memory methods without even knowing what mnemonics were. The human mind is creative and in the process of working hard on a task for a long period of time we will naturally adapt and gravitate towards doing the task in a way that is best suited to the way that our minds process and retain information.

So I see no point in spending large amounts of time dwelling on looking up learning techniques. There's no sense in trying to force yourself to do a dozen different memory techniques until you finally find the one that works for you when you could have started working and your mind would have naturally figured that out on its own.
>>
alright since i seem unable to write coherent fucking sentences in this bullshit what's wrong with this shit

全体的、誕生日食事会はすごく楽しかった。だから今、私の次の誕生日は熱心にまっている。
>>
>>115360129
I don't know why you think it's quoting nothing when it's clearly quoting the store's description
>>
>>115368272
>what's wrong with this shit

you're trying to produce too early
>>
>>115368314
That works after punctuation with no quote brackets?
>>
>>115368363
this class is a shit, makes a lot of specific grammar requirements. like 4 uses of this, 5 uses of that, 6 uses of that shit in the essays
>>
>>115368522
>class
>>
>>115368529
i wouldn't have taken this shit since i make more progress faster by myself but i am applying to college (yes i'm 18, senion in HS) and it looks better than "basement japanese studies on amphetamines" on transcript.

can't wait until this shit is over
>>
>>115368272
>全体的
unnecessary
>誕生日食事会
誕生日パーティ
>はすごく
が not は
>楽しかった。だから
perhaps combine
>今
unnecessary
>私の
は not の
>次の誕生日は熱心にまっている。
を not は

誕生日パーティがすごく楽しかったから、私は次の誕生日を熱心に待っている。

corrections welcome
>>
Okay asking this feels like going to the gym for the first time but...

>うちにかえってもいいですか

Is this proper language for "can I return to home?"?
>>
Are there any video games that are actually effective as practice? Something that isn't walls of text and then hours of gameplay, nor straight visual novels. Something that has a good balance of gameplay and things to read.
>>
>>115368151
メーンコース

It's a western way of structuring meals
>>
>>115368373
japanese is very loose with punctuation

but the exclamation makes it even clearer that it's a quote
>>
>>115368588
>>誕生日食事会
i had to use this because this essay had to be about a birthday dinner, not just a birthday party. i had a feeling if i put 誕生日パーティ my professor would deduct points.
>が not は
thx
>今
the rest of the essay was about a past event, so wouldn't 今 be needed to make it clear i'm talking about the present now? or is that obvious from last sentence
>は not の
oh that makes sense, thx
>を not は
thx
>>
>>115368199

Memory techniques and similar methods are precisely how learning can be made efficient. However you're overestimating the human brain here, realistically speaking very few of us actually came up and regularly used good memory techniques in school despite spending years in class. It's not something that just automatically happens for everyone nor is it likely to be as efficient as it could be, which is why it's far more reliable to have an established strategy rather than going in blindly and hoping that one day you'll figure it out. That is going to waste far more time in the long run.
>>
>>115368696
>i had to use this because this essay had to be about a birthday dinner, not just a birthday party
fair enough
>so wouldn't 今 be needed to make it clear i'm talking about the present now
待っている does that already
>>
>>115368723
There really are no established strategies other than "expose yourself to a lot of Japanese" after you reach the intermediate stage.
>>
>>115368842
Thanks that was helpful brah

>待っている does that already
oh yeah that makes sense, thx
>>
>>115368848
How do you define intermediate?
>>
>>115368848

That doesn't prevent you from being smart about it though. If you have an established and good technique for learning unknown words for example, there's no reason why it'd suddenly stop working once you become skilled enough.
>>
>>115368598
that's fine
うちに is somewhat unnecessary, as かえる usually refers to home when by itself

but the more you lop off from that sentence, the ruder it gets

帰っていい?
>>
>>115368933
Core 2k + strong grasp of basic grammar will probably put you into the lower intermediate stage. Everyone has their own definition, though.

>>115368980
You learn words by seeing them in many different contexts. You can only do this by brute forcing native material.
>>
>>115368933
>How do you define intermediate?
being able to read and understand any J-J dictionary, with or without aid
>>
>>115369053

I think our definitions of brute forcing differ a bit. Since reading is the probably the whole point of learning in the first place I can't really consider that by itself "brute forcing".

Of course you learn by reading, but my point is that you can still apply the same techniques at that point and learn efficiently from what you read rather than relying on exposure alone to do its thing automatically over time.
>>
>>115369016
I think our teacher wants us to use full sentences to show we know the basics. Thanks for replying!
>>
>>115369237
What's your definition of brute forcing then?

When I think of "efficient" methods things like Anki, graded readers, and grammar books come to mind.

Reading Japanese, looking up words you don't know, understanding the meaning of the sentence, and moving on is brute forcing in my opinion.
>>
Is it acceptable to make a five-six+ item list using just と? like 1と2と3と4と5と6と... or is there a better way to do that
>>
>>115369240
帰っていい? is a full sentence. It's just not keigo, but it only needs a ですか on the end for that.
>>
>>115369351
it's acceptable
you can omit と if you phrase the sentence correctly
expect the speaker/reader to laugh or get annoyed if you list too many, just like in english
>>
>>115369345
That's only the efficient way if your goal is to pass an exam.
To learn a language you just have to read it a whole fucking lot, every single day.
>>
>>115369240
This is what I hate about classes. In order for the teacher to grade you properly they have to make you produce to test your understanding of whatever when producing makes no sense as a beginner. When they make you write essays there's no way the teacher can properly correct everyone's terrible Japanese and students start forming bad habits.
>>
>>115369472
How is that not brute forcing?
>>
When do Japanese people take a breath or pause slightly when they're speaking or reading?

When I was learning English it helped me a lot to understand the language more naturally and to understand how people think in English when I learned about this. For example, you wouldn't say, "I went to the {{breath}} store and then I went home" and it would be more natural to take the breath at "I went to the store {{breath}} and then I went home"

Where do they breathe in Japanese though?
>>
>>115369532
Because there's no other way.
>>
>>115369569
More like brute forcing is the only way.
>>
>>115369551
every time they say kedo
>>
>>115369594
I don't like that word, makes it sound like something tedious.
>>
>>115369345

Like I said, my definition is going at it with the "as long as I throw enough hours at it I'll eventually learn no matter what" -mindset.

Using an unknown word as an example again, simply looking it up and moving on without any kind of technique or method to actually memorize the word would be brute forcing in the context of reading. That way you only learn it after encountering and looking up the same word many times over due to nothing but exposure.
>>
>>115369641
Because it is. Reading real Japanese is a pain in the ass for a long time before it starts becoming easy and fun. I get that there are masochists out there that think constantly looking up words is fun, though.
>>
>>115369676
>That way you only learn it after encountering and looking up the same word many times over due to nothing but exposure.

You're getting valuable context, though. Anki only allows you to get as many contexts as example sentences you put in there.
>>
>>115369699
It's fun, everytime you know more and more, and the high you get when you eventually read a few pages without help is amazing, it's almost addictive.
>>
>>115369805

Since you read the same stuff either way, you'll encounter the same contexts regardless though. Obviously if you don't understand the word in a particular context despite encounting it before then that's different, but having to look up the exact same meaning many times over simply because you forgot massively slows down your reading and thus progress in the long run.
>>
>>115369551
you should probably try to focus on how japanese grammar actually works, rather than memorize where pauses go
>>
How far can graded readers take you? Can you ride them all the way to lower intermediate?

I hate that feeling where I can comfortably read one manga or sometimes a VN and then I try another one and it's just so far above the other in difficulty that it's completely fucking me up the ass. I don't feel like I'm learning as much either because my reading speed gets stunted so much and I have to read sentences in little fragments because it's so far above my head that I can only handle it if I read it in little chunks.
>>
>>115370098
it's like you think the only purpose of reading is learning words
>>
>>115370143
If you're comfortably reading any VN then you probably aren't a beginner.
>>
Do DS games usually have furigana or at least legible kanji? I want to try Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>115370143
>Can you ride them all the way to lower intermediate?
what the fuck does this even mean
>>
File: 41251512313.jpg (220.59 KB, 920x704)
220.59 KB
220.59 KB JPG
>>115370217
Only the really easy VNs. Not sure if this is beginner or lower intermediate, but this is about the limit of what I can read without feeling completely overwhelmed by the difficulty.
>>
So I'm reading ココロコネクトクリップタイム and at the same time reading through the translation on baka-tsuki. The translation is hilariously bad, even a lot of it is completely made up. Does nobody quality check the translation before it goes up on that site?
>>
>>115370411
B-T translations barely get checked to see if the English is okay, let alone the accuracy of the translation
>>
>>115370391
Breaking into Japanese Literature?

If you can read and understand that then you probably aren't a beginner anymore.
>>
>>115370285
Depends on the game, but the text is usually pretty small.
>>
>>115353734
is that two sentences?
>>
>>115370391

What is considered a beginner in Japanese probably can't actually read the language to any real degree.
>>
食べ物はたくさんありました。あまり料理しない母は、助けを求めないで日本料理を作りました。鶏の照り焼きや親子丼や辛いラーメンを作りました。

is there a more natural way to combine sentences 2 and 3? seems shitty using the same word to end a sentence twice in a row.
>>
>>115370411
welcome to the world of EOP literature
>>
>>115370411
And who would do that? You can barely find a single translator for most series and you need at least 2 for that.
>>
>>115370299
i don't know why retards just come in here and make shit up like that
>>
Anyone else think that it's somehow harder to read with a text hooker than without?

It doesn't make sense, but if I try to read with something like ChiiTrans then I almost immediately fall into this bad habit of bouncing my cursor over the words and looking at the instant definitions and my mind gets out of that Reading Japanese Mode that helps me to quickly process the grammar. I'm more likely to read sentences as a clusterfuck of English definitions poorly sewn together by glancing at the particles and then rush through it so fast that I miss clauses and misinterpret entire lines of dialog
>>
>>115370391
If you can read that you should be able to handle most VNs. Just avoid super hard ones and keep reading.
>>
>>115370745
this happens to me whenever i try that texthooker shit.
>>
>>115370745
Only because you're dumb.

Personally I used a text hooker with no other stuff, so I had to copy paste the sentence to actually look it up.
>>
>>115370299
He's asking if there's enough content in Graded Readers to read them and transition from beginner to intermediate by reading increasingly difficult Graded Readers.
>>
>>115370745
You're supposed to try to remember the word you don't know and then look up the definition. When I'm in a mode when my mind doesn't work and I have to look up almost everything, even things that I should know, it usually means that I'm tired and it's time to stop.
>>
>>115370508
普段料理しない母は、たった一人で鶏の照り焼きや親子丼や辛いラーメンなどを作りました。

I don't really get the logic of what you're trying to say, but I'm not an expert in prose
>>
File: 1.jpg (1.66 MB, 2108x3016)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
Can someone help me with this, second panel. I only got to something like "The first day of a magical girl is their most important one", but I don't get what role 日役 plays there or if 一日 is actually referring to the first day.
>>
>>115370745
That is because you lack will power, you need to stop, look at the word, say it out like, TYPE it into jisho and add it to anki.
>>
>>115370951
The day of a magical girl begins when the sun sets.
>>
>>115370951
>but I don't get what role 日役 plays there
日没
>>
>>115371019
>>115371069
あたしって本当バカ
>>
>>115371128
*トリプルバカ
>>
>>115371128
>あたし
あの・・・あなたは女子ですか?俺と付き合うお願いします!
>>
>>115371300
あれは女子じゃなくてただのゾンビだぞ
>>
>>115371300
>俺と付き合うお願いします!
バカで相性が良さそうなお二人さんですね
>>
>>115371394
そ、そうだね
>>
Need some help with this sentence.

みんな恋愛の才能なさそうだな
>>
>>115371658
tasukete tae kim
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/similarity
>>
>>115371658
お前日本語の才能なさそうだな
>>
>>115371760
でも「才能ないけど頑張ります!」というラノベで主人公として登場しそう

売れなさそうけど
>>
どら焼きやケーキやクッキを食べながら、皆は旧軍人叔父の面白くて深い軍談を熱心に聞きました。

hows this?

the 面白くて深い is required, idk if im using it right tho
>>
File: mouuuuuuu.png (267.82 KB, 830x555)
267.82 KB
267.82 KB PNG
>>
>>115372451
for an essay
>>
べ、べつにAnon君なんか好きじゃないんだからね!
>>
我が期待に応えて見せよ

我が期待に応えて見せよう

Is the second sentence grammatically correct and opposite in meaning to the first?
I wrote it while trying to figure out why I was misunderstanding the first
>>
当初、お客様の到着の後、気分は真面目でしたが、父の好きいて滑稽な話は手助けでした。

can you use 手助け like that?
as in does the sentence mean that even though the mood was serious、my fathers jokes helped with that?
>>
>>115372554
why would simply attaching an う to a sentence make it opposite
>>
Considering dropping kanji/vocab for a day or five to grind the fuck out of radicals.
I feel like better understanding the building blocks of the kanji will help with my recollection/understanding of them.

Yes/No?
>>
What's so bad about rosetta stone if you're already pretty comfortable with grammar?

I was bored and downloaded it out of curiosity, and it's pretty fun. I can imagine it would be confusing if you didn't know any grammar, but this is really easy and relaxing.
>>
>>115373201
>but this is really easy and relaxing.
there you go
>>
>>115373132
Because the first is imperative, and the second is volitional?

I dunno, can 我が be read as "I" instead of "my"?
>>
>>115373356
Fun learning is the best learning.
>>
>>115372879
>父の好きいて
what does this mean?
>>
>>115373200
that's fucking stupid
>>
>>115373511
Fuck you see, that's why I post this shit here, I make stupid shit fucking mistakes like that, Fuck
>>
>>115373410
honestly using 我が is probably the reason nobody is responding to you

At least in my case, I've just never seen 我 used in anything but 我々 and so it's hard to say if your sentences sound correct or not, or on the proper usage of 我が
>>
>>115373200
両方をして
>>
A lot of Japanese comedy, things I'm laughing at, are pretty much untranslatable like:
Xがない!
丸見えだ
The comedy aspect, I mean. Just the bluntness and brevity can't be stated in English.
>>
>>115373921
>丸見えだ
lewd
>>
>>115373617
I'm not native, but your sentence seems extremely "off" to me

you might want to post it on lang-8
>>
Alright nihongobros, I'm taking a shortcut for learning Japanese.

I call it "zettai zentai nihongo benkyou keikaku" or 絶対全体日本語勉強計画 for short.

Everytime I see a word with a new kanji, I'm adding it to a unique deck. It will only have words with new kanji. I will do 20 of these words a day, and temporarily pause my Core2k deck.

I know 1000 kanji right now. With this, I will quickly expand my kanji knowledge. wish me luck.
>>
File: 1385169413738.jpg (58.86 KB, 289x266)
58.86 KB
58.86 KB JPG
>>115373921
>comedy [...] pretty much untranslatable
This is true for all languages. It's why sitcoms can be translated so easily.
>>
>>115373840
let me elaborate on my problem

「我が期待に応えて見せよ」
This is the original sentence, and I was confused since I read it as "I shall answer your expectations," which seemed like an awfully humble thing for a god to say to a new servant

then I realized 我が is わが, not われが, and it made sense as "Answer my expectations".

but I wanted to know how one would write "I shall answer your expectations" if they wanted to, so I wrote
「我が期待に応えて見せよう」

and I'm wondering if that's correct、and if the only thing separating it from the first is the hiragana う and a different reading of 我

Sorry for the complex question.
>>
>>115374172
>It's why sitcoms can be translated so easily.
Did you mean the opposite of that?
>>
>>115374205
我が期待 is still going to be "my/our expectations"

Just changing it volitional makes it semantically odd
>>
>>115374325
Even if it's read われが? Or can it not be read like that?
>>
>>115374172
One of the main reasons for the prevalence of the "sitcom" style in American comedy when compared to, say, British comedy, is the comparatively much higher immigrant population in America during the period of widespread adoption of TV. "Situation Comedy" is much easier to understand as a second-language speaker than the more verbal wit of something like Black Adder
>>
>>115374354
I just taking a guess here, but I think it doesn't matter, and even if you wrote it with 俺 it would still be "my expectations".
I think が can be tighter grouping than other particles in that a lot of times it just groups with whatever follows it. like (我が期待)に応えて見せよ

Also, if you wanted to say "I will answer YOUR expectations"
then the sentence would probably start like:
お前が期待
>>
Welp just getting out of bed going to go to the gas station to grab the largest coffee they offer and get to learning
>>
>>115374640
on second thought, I'm not so sure about any of that



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.