[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/a/


How hard Is it to translate chapter?
Not trying to be a dickbutt if I wanted to start pumping out manta that I wanna read, what would the hardest part be?
>>
>>101370632
Fuck! Shit! My grammar
>>
The hardest part is running into kanji, words and sentence structures that you're not familiar with.

Other than that, it's just time consuming and meticulous to go through each and every line and decide how your translation fairs against the original. Sometimes you have to sacrifice some words so that it reads smoothly in English. It actually took me 10 hours to translate something that wasn't even 30 pages with furigana and everything.

But I'm not an official scanlator or anything, so don't take my word for it.
>>
>>101371540
Jeez really?

I don't even know Japanese for shit.
How about typesetting?
>>
>>101372110
For typesetting probably just a basic knowledge of photo editing software is required.
>>
>>101370632
How well do you know Japanese? How well do you know English?

90% of everything will take 5% of your time. I get through a chapter (translating and typesetting) in about a half hour....but only 90%. The remaining 10% takes much longer. Either chicken scratch writing you can't figure out in the margins, a shortened form of some grammar that you've never run into, or some text over a background that needs redrawn.

>>101372110
You need to know Japanese. Well is preferable, but you can get through most stuff at an intermediate level.

Typesetting is easy as fuck, but most people don't bother to do it well, so good typesetters are nice. All you have to do is have a good sense for picking fonts and an ability to make the page looks balanced.
>>
I actually know some people who know Japanese, but they're as weaboo as u can get.
The ends justify the means

Also what do cleaners do? Do they do the touch ups from the raws? If anything, I can at least do that
>>
>>101373293
Take a scanned image and turn them into workable raws. Basic image editing.
>>
Translation isn't all that hard. The real shitfest is typesetting tedium and how much you care about how the scans look i.e. image editing and redrawing.
>>
>>101374412
Right, once you know how to do both typesetting is worse. But the barrier to entry is much lower.
>>
Back when I started translating it took me anywhere between 7~10 hours for a monthly gag manga. By the end of my run I'd be able to handle something similar in 2~4 hours.

I'm not sure how >>101372429 did things to get so much done that quickly but I'd get it doneby scanning over the chapter for context and then meticulously translate line by line to match the nuances as best as possible. I'd leave tricky lines for later and this first pass would take half the time. The other half would be spent on those troublesome bits of dialogue which depending on the author, tone, genre and setting could require additional hours of research and fact checking.

If you want to be a halfway decent translator you'd need to commit days worth of time getting yourself up to snuff.

>>101374412
A passable translation isn't hard. A good translation is though.
>>
>>101372110
To be honest no one is going to feel good reading something that doesn't have good sentence structure. You probably shouldn't do it unless you have a very good grasp on English (or whichever language), you would be discouraging other, more competent groups from picking something up.



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.