[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/a/


File: Citizenkane.jpg (140 KB, 580x859)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
When will anime have its Citizen Kane?
>>
Evangelion

The rise and fall of Hideaki Anno
>>
>>100359308
beito
>>
>>100359241
> Wake up, girls!

It even shows you Citizen Kane poster at the beginning, so you fucking know it's gonna be historical!
>>
Yeah, it exists.

Metropolis.
>>
File: kyonsigh.jpg (32.71 KB, 640x360)
32.71 KB
32.71 KB JPG
>>100359241
inb4 cowboy bebop and gnga eiyuu densetsu comments
>>
Milky Holmes already happened.
>>
>>100359514
Cowboy Bebop would be Babylon 5 or star trek
LoGH is snob Star wars or something
>>
Madoka Kane is the Neon Anime of Citizenvangelion, QED.
>>
>>100359514
>there are actually people who think LOGH is exceptionally made
>there are actually people who think LOGH is artistic
>there are actually people who think LOGH is good
>>
>>100359654
le semen demon face
>>
>>100359241
Narutaru and Saikano
Wholesome children anime as well.
>>
>>100359723
>there are people who have taste
>>
This is a thread of exceptionally low quality and you should feel awful for posting it, OP.
>>
>>100359801
Not my fault /a/ has shit taste
>>
>>100359767
Citizen Kane is for people who have taste. LOGH is fedoracore
>>
>>100359863
Citizen Kane is fedoracore too.

Anything that is for "classy gentlemen" is fedoracore.
>>
>>100359863
here's that buzzword again
>>
When will film have it's EoE?
>>
File: 1357760918224.gif (2.47 MB, 350x318)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB GIF
>>100359863
>>100359937
That's why people with good taste watch moe anime.
>>
>>100359993
Evafags are the worst
>>
>>100359937
There are Citizen Kane fans of all ages and genders, anyone with taste will like it, because it's actually good. LOGH is for "classy gentlemen" in their late teens and /pol/shits. It's fedoracore, no point in denying it
>>
File: RRnhhqW.gif (1.04 MB, 290x189)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB GIF
>>100360014
>>
>>100359241
Have you never watched the masterpiece that is boku no pico.
>>
>>100360147
Boku no Pico is the Casablanca of anime
>>
When will television have its Madrid Codex?
>>
>>100359863
>fedoracore
wtf is this even supposed to mean? Saying this just makes you look like an idiot.
>>
Never
>>
File: Citizen_Homura.jpg (306.85 KB, 778x1000)
306.85 KB
306.85 KB JPG
>A young, weak, naive girl with strong ideals and sense of justice.
>Becomes a warrior to protect her friends.
>Sacrifices herself for a friend.
>Trapped in an endless cycle of grief and failure.
>Becomes wicked and dehumanized in the process.
>Turns into a devil.
>>
>>100360033
Is this what fedoracores tell themselves when someone insults their out of date 40s movie?

Keep denying it, citizen Kane fulfills all the perquisites for fedora tippers. Classiness, black and white, hipster to like, you name it. It's the most fedoracore movie ever made.
>>
File: 1389628717324.jpg (89.71 KB, 450x508)
89.71 KB
89.71 KB JPG
>>100359863
>>100360033
If your only argument for why a show is shit is to use an overused meaningless buzzword, you probably shouldn't bother posting in the first place.
>>
>>100360649
There's nothing hipster about Citizen Kane. It's generally recognized as excellent.
>>
File: 1357298753947.jpg (63.24 KB, 554x439)
63.24 KB
63.24 KB JPG
>When will anime have its Citizen Kane?
>"Citizen Kane" of vidya is The Last of Us
>Animu about a grown up man and a loli who travel through a world full of weird monsters
Sounds good
>>
Citizen Kane is held in high regard because of the technical aspects of the film, the actual narrative story is pretty mediocre so I'm not sure what you're asking.
>>
>>100360713
>the actual narrative story is pretty mediocre
By what metric?
>>
>>100359241
kampfer already came out.
>>
>>100360713
He probably holds it as the greatest movie ever created in all aspects and wants an anime equivalent.

He should have asked for the most revolutionary anime ever made, in terms of technicalities. Of course, its retarded to compare technicalities in live action and animation anyway.

In which case, my answer is Akira. A movie with an okay story with amazing animation that has yet to be peaked to this day, produced at the height of the Japanese economy in the late 80s, you'll never see anything like it again any time soon.
>>
>>100360649
>out of date

Citizen cane was well lauded and a major milestone in cinema - LoGH was just another marginally okay space opera which pretty much flew under the radar for the most point but jumped on by pretentious weeaboos looking for something more 'intellectual' because they are starved of anything that's genuinely capable of being discussed on a supposedly 'higher level' in terms of politics and cheap philsophies which have been run into the ground in every other medium - most anime is simply vapid and always has been.
>>
When will anime have its 2001: A Space Odyssey?
>>
Kill la Kill is still airing.
>>
>>100361072

It's called Magnetic Rose.
>>
>>100361050
Even most of /tv/ considers LOGH as the pinnacle of space opera.
>>
>>100361142
>/tv/

Is that supposed to mean anything?
>>
When will anime have its The Good, The Bad and the Ugly?
>>
>>100361142
/tv/ genuinely likes Family Guy too.
>>
>>100361050
>Citizen cane was well lauded and a major milestone in cinema

Just like Akira, and both happen to be extremely mediocre.
>>
>>100361142
Who gives a shit? And furthermore, who is /tv/?
/tv/ isn't a hivemind, just like /a/ isn't a hivemind, or /v/, etc.
>>
>>100361050
You could say the same thing with citizen Kane since it attracts the same crowd. Pretentious fedora fags. If we're talking about cinema here then you're fucking retarded to ask for it in an animation medium and should instead ask for an anime that made major milestones in animation.

Oh and all qualities of Citizen Kane aside, its story is pretty shit to begin with since its aged badly, therefore out of date, and there are many better movies out there if story is what you're looking for. LoGH included, even if its a TV series.
>>
>>100361277

The plots maybe, but technical aspects are another thing.

>Citizen Cane

>Often considered by critics, filmmakers and fans to be the greatest film ever made, Citizen Kane was voted the greatest film of all time in five consecutive Sight & Sound's polls of critics,[4] until it was displaced by Vertigo in the 2012 poll.[5] It topped the American Film Institute's 100 Years ... 100 Movies list in 1998, as well as the AFI's 2007 update. Citizen Kane is particularly praised for its innovative cinematography, music, and narrative structure.
>>
File: reimu.png (41.99 KB, 208x212)
41.99 KB
41.99 KB PNG
>>100361229
This made me think, are there any Western / pioneer setting anime?
>>
>>100361336
>its story is pretty shit to begin

See >>100361361

>Citizen Kane is particularly praised for its innovative cinematography, music, and narrative structure.
>and narrative structure.

Also, no-one is comparing the two productions against each other but in relation to their own respective mediums.
>>
>>100360014
>>100359937

> If it had a story to tell, seinen and has symbolism it's pretentious and edgy
> If it's light hearted, comedic it's moeshit and shallow
>>
>>100361410
Trigun?
As far as I can remember from the last time I watched it
>>
>>100361231
It's been a good few years since I browsed /tv/ beyond a couple of GoT threads, but that can't be true, it was almost as hated as TBBT back then.
>>
>>100361336
>Pretentious fedora fags.
What does this even mean? Stop using inane buzzwords like some faggot and come up with an actual argument.

>its story is pretty shit to begin with since its aged badly, therefore out of date
What? Have you even seen the fucking movie? The story is pretty straight forward and isn't restricted to the 1940s you simp. It's the story about an idealistic young guy who comes into power and influence and it ends up twisting him. How is that "out of date"? If anything it's even more relevant today.
>>
File: laughing man.jpg (74.83 KB, 800x800)
74.83 KB
74.83 KB JPG
>>100361336
>its story is pretty shit to begin with since its aged badly

Look at this simpleton.

Do you think Shakespeare is rubbish and outdated too because the plots are simple and the time periods are long past?
>>
>>100361604
No, it's rubbish regardless of any of that.
>>
>>100361526
What? I thought we were playing the buzzword game, you call me weeaboo, I call you a pretentious hipster. Isnt that how it works?

And that story seems pretty similar to LoGH, however LoGH being a TV series it is much more fleshed out. If anything LoGH is still relevant today too.
>>
File: 1387614768392.png (251.09 KB, 1190x906)
251.09 KB
251.09 KB PNG
>>100361336
> its story is pretty shit to begin with since its aged badly, therefore out of date
Yeah, just like The Odyssey is "out of date". Or Gilgamesh. Because they were written thousands of years ago. They're no longer relevant to anything anymore.
>>
>>100361604
Shakesquere was simply the skillrex of his time. He made media for the masses.
>>
>>100361711
>you call me weeaboo
I never called you a weeaboo. Nor did I say a single thing about LoGH.
I did say you were acting like a faggot for using stupid buzzwords though.
>>
>>100361777
This is bait.
>>
>>100361711
>however LoGH being a TV series it is much more fleshed out.
Define "fleshed out". Just because it's a TV series and has a much longer run time doesn't mean the writing is anywhere near on par with that of a movie like Citizen Kane. You could have a long running TV series that has a completely shit story compared to a movie that is able to encapsulate the same story and present it far better in the matter of an hour and a half.
>>
File: seele.jpg (22.41 KB, 720x480)
22.41 KB
22.41 KB JPG
>>100361072
Evangelion might not be the Citizen Kane of anime, but its definitely its 2001 A Space Odyssey.
>>
File: 1389552979423.png (254.10 KB, 500x375)
254.10 KB
254.10 KB PNG
>>100361777
Are you for real? I can't tell anymore.
>>
>>100361961
The last part is true at least.
>>
>>100361604
There is nothing remarkable about any of that shit in this day and age. Especially a simple plot about a guy who gets a taste for power which in the end consumes him. I've seen it done better than Citizen Kane a million times.

I've seen harems with better stories than that.
>>
>>100361994
That isn't the case for LoGH which is pretty much the only anime with over 100 episodes which stays consistent with its quality. The characters are more defined and complex, they have more depth to them, these are things that take time and cannot be done well in movies due to the short running time.
>>
>>100361994
LOGH has mush better writing than Citizen Kane, not that it means much.
>>
>however LoGH being a TV series it is much more fleshed out.
LoGH is not a TV series you dweebs.
>>
>>100362379
>cannot be done well in movies due to the short running time.
You don't need extensive running time in order to make defined, complex characters in a movie format. It simply requires a different narrative approach.

>>100362408
I haven't even seen LoGH, but I'm pretty sure you're full of shit.
>>
>>100360706
The Last of Us is shit and did absolutely nothing for video games except be a mediocre movie.
>>
File: Akira (1988) Japan 2.jpg (50.11 KB, 643x907)
50.11 KB
50.11 KB JPG
>>100359241
>>
>>100362117
>I've seen it done better than Citizen Kane a million times.
Provide examples.
>>
File: 1387233775252.jpg (178.71 KB, 1083x720)
178.71 KB
178.71 KB JPG
I kinda feel pleb for disliking it but I can't help myself, the movie bored me to death. I don't remember a single thing that stood out in Citizen Kane.

With old movies it's sometimes like they probably were groundbreaking back then but I can't really get exited over them because the once groundbreaking things are now considered standard.
>>
>>100362474
OVA, happy now?
>>
>>100361762
Actually reading the Odyssey or The Epic of Gilgamesh is near impossible though, it's outdated and only enjoyed by scholars.
>>
>>100362595
Yes. You fucking nerd.
>>
File: 1345763672253.jpg (64.06 KB, 384x800)
64.06 KB
64.06 KB JPG
>>100362529
>I haven't even seen LoGH, but I'm pretty sure you're full of shit.
>>
>>100361604
Yes I do.

>>100362582
Scarface
>>
YFW IT WAS HIS FUCKING SLED ALL ALONG
>>
>>100362529
>I don't have any basis for my statement but I'm pretty sure YOU are the one full of shit.

Not that the two are comparable, they are not remotely similar. For what they are though, LotGH does have better writing in their respective "genres." when compared to Citizen can which is all around mediocre unless you are watching it when it first came out.
>>
File: 1387755533181.png (178.34 KB, 347x355)
178.34 KB
178.34 KB PNG
>>100362599
How are you this stupid and still capable of breathing on your own?
Please tell me you're just some stupid kid in High School or something.
>>
>>100362657
>Scarface
Good movie, but I wouldn't say it "did it better" than Citizen Kane. He wasn't exactly idealistic as a young man either, he was more of an opportunist trying to scrape by in a shit society.
>>
how the fuck did everyone know that his last words were "Rosebud" when noone was around him?
>>
Best troll thread on /a/ right now.
>>
>>100362724
Having a desire to read old text is not a measure of intelligence.

I grew up in the 90's, media that is interesting to me is mostly from the 90's. It has jack shit to do with intelligence as much as you want it to be because you are a snob. Chances are I am better than you at areas that actually require intelligence, such as math and reasoning.

Just because you like shitty old books does not make you smart.
>>
>>100362599
Bullshit, maybe the illiad has but the odyssey and the epic of gilgamesh were interesting and you don't need to be a scholar to appreciate.
>>
>Arguing with Quentin

That's literally the only movie he could mention in which it's "good".


Time Machine and War of the Worlds is better.
>>
Wow, you guys actually bit that anon's LOGH bait. I bet he's enjoying his popcorn right now.
>>
>>100362835
I read The Epic of Gilgamesh and the only reason I could derive any joy from it was because I imagined him as an Aryan king in gold armor who laughed at mongrels.
>>
>>100362835
>maybe the Iliad has

NO FUCK YOU
>>
>LOGH
>as good as Citizen Kane
Oh /a/...
>>
>>100362934
Whose translation?
>>
>>100362778
The basic premise of corruption is the same though and told in a more exciting way that can keep you engaged.

At least, if you were born around the time we were.

All of this shit is relative to what you have previously seen after all.

Subjectivity anon-kun, this isn't going to go anywhere. We have no objective standard to base this shit off of.
>>
>>100359241
there's plenty of anime that are old and shit
>>
>>100362599

I read Illias and the Odyssey in middle school and liked them. I think one of the books was even part of a class assignment.
>>
>>100362948
>Something is good because everybody says it is good and I cannot argue using my own opinions because I need to be force fed information.
>>
>>100362948
LOGH is obviously much better, I don't know how anyone could argue against that.
>>
>>100362835
>Not liking the Illiad
What too many guys getting speared through the left breast for you?
>>
>>100363046
And look where you ended up. With no friends posting on /a/ about waifus.

Normal people don't enjoy things like that.
>>
>>100363121
> part of a class assignment.
>>
>>100362826
So much projecting.
>Having a desire to read old text is not a measure of intelligence.
I never said it was.
>I grew up in the 90's,
So did I.
>media that is interesting to me is mostly from the 90's.
Why limit yourself so much?
>It has jack shit to do with intelligence as much as you want it to be because you are a snob.
How ironic. No. The actual snob here is you. You claim that The Odyssey or Gilgamesh or even Citizen Kane are "out of date" or haven't "aged well" etc. based on some arbitrary, childish notion that just because they're old they aren't relevant, or they must not be well written, or simply written for people of their own time. This sort of line of thinking is absolutely ludicrous and out of touch with all of human history. Truly good stories are capable of transcending time and having readers of any year feel that they are relevant.
>Chances are I am better than you at areas that actually require intelligence, such as math and reasoning.
Based on how your argument is currently unfolding? I find that notion utterly laughable.
>Just because you like shitty old books does not make you smart.
I never said it did. But you claimed they were "shitty". Based on what? I have no clue.
>>
>>100363157
>Enjoying the books you have to read as part of a class assignment
>>
>>100363097
Listing the fathers and grandfathers of all the guys who got speared as they got speared was a bit tedious.
>>
>>100363079
Nah, I'm quite a fan of films. Citizen Kane is very good, important and well done. I don't know if it's the best movie ever created, but it's easily one of the bests.
>>
>>100359241
When will holywood have its Evangelion?
>>
>>100363289

Pacific Rim.
>>
File: Haruhi 11.png (1.63 MB, 1364x768)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB PNG
If you mean something that everyone talks about and raves that it is amazing and has a large impact, but few people have actually watched and enjoyed then it has to be Endless Eight
>>
>>100362948
Better characters and story. Even if it wasn't revolutionary, though I'm not sure on that part since it was written in the 70s.

I can give Citizen Kane praise for what it did for its time, but that's about it.
>>
>>100363289
Transformers.
>>
>>100363289
Modern Hollywood is dead. But Evangelion is similar much A Space Odyssey.
>>
>>100363374
The story is naive and campy as fuck. Anon, please...
>>
>>100363323
That was a shitty Michael bay tier movie that pandered to japanophiles.

I can't believe i payed money for it.
>>
>>100363369
But most people hate Endless Eight
I liked it.
>>
>>100363171
>The actual snob here is you.
Ha? Yes, I am the one saying you lack in intelligence if you don't like to read my books.
>Why limit yourself so much?
Why do something I do not derive enjoyment from?
>based on some arbitrary
If you take out the stupid ad hominem after this point you actually hit the nail on the head. The entire concept of something aging that isn't alive is arbitrary. By my, and most peoples standards this shit aged horribly. If you disagree, you are not wrong, but your opinion isn't somehow more valid than mine because you like some shit other people generally don't.
>Truly good stories are capable of transcending time
And that is why I do not like the aforementioned epics. I do not feel they do this. The morals presented then were far too different.
>Based on what.
See previous statement. This is /a/. If I don't like something I'm calling it shit, I'm not going to be extremely technical or nice about it regardless of if it is shit or not.

Like your opinion, which is in fact shit.
>>
>>100363433

> Movie A is subjective trait A and B

When was this ever legit criticism?
>>
>>100363433
It's from the 40's, it's obviously going to be naive and campy.
>>
>>100363280
Sorry I do not judge the quality of something based off it's cultural significance nor in the context of when it was released.

If you think it's among the best movies ever created if every movie ever made was released at the same time you are a retard.
>>
>>100363511
I'm talking about LOGH.
>>
>>100363511
He means LoGH
>>
>>100363511
>You are not allowed to criticize it because everything from when it was made was that way

So it's all shit?
>>
>>100363433
>ellipses
Also the same goes for citizen kane.
>>
What exactly is so good about Citizen Kane?
>>
>>100362804
You have to agree though that it had a glaring plot hole, which somewhat ruined the experience for me. But I found it excellent DESPITE the plot hole.
>>
>>100363529
>Sorry I do not judge the quality of something based off it's cultural significance nor in the context of when it was released.
Then you're just an ignorant fool.
>>
>>100363575
He was actually using ellipses correctly there /jp/.
>>
>>100363549
>>100363554
It certainly didn't seem that way.
>>
What is the reason that Citizen Kane is so overrated?
>>
>>100363579
People who talk about Citizen Kane like it is the most amazing thing ever made are the Evafags of movies.

It's exactly to movies as Eva is to anime.
>>
>>100363575
Nope.
>>100363603
Something like this is irrelevant.
>>
>>100363529
Thanks for confirming your ignorance.
>>
>>100361280
I said most of /tv/, never lauded it as a single entity.
>>
>>100363616
No, you are a retard because that means your opinions will always be decided by the majority after the fact.

If people were all like you Bach would be irrelevant because he wasn't the contemporary of his time.
>>
>>100363472
>I am the one saying you lack in intelligence if you don't like to read my books.
I'm saying you lack in intelligence based on your claims anon. I don't give a shit what books you do read, but your claims are flat out false on their face.
>Why do something I do not derive enjoyment from?
Have you even tried to read them? I don't think you've even laid eyes on a single page of either of the works I mentioned.
>By my, and most peoples standards this shit aged horribly.
>most peoples standards
Oh. So you recently took a census or poll to come to this conclusion? Do yourself a favor and speak only for yourself.
>your opinion isn't somehow more valid than mine
That entirely depends on the "opinion". Someone claiming the Earth is flat as their opinion, for example, is not valid.
>The morals presented then were far too different.
Such as?
>I'm not going to be extremely technical or nice about it regardless of if it is shit or not.
I don't expect you to be "nice" about it. But I do expect an actual argument with some evidence to back up your bullshit claims.
>>
>>100363670
>Quality can't exist in vacuum, if you don't pretend you are some faggot from the 40's while you watch my shitty movie you are just ignorant.

I am quite the fool indeed.
>>
>>100363698
>he wasn't the contemporary of his time
What?
>>
>>100363663
No, really, it does.
>>
>>100363729
Do you know the amount of people who have an interest or give half a shit about The Epic of Gilgamesh compared to something like The Song of Fire and Ice?

It's culturally irrelevant.
>>
>>100363632
Probably because you're a kid. It's campy and silly. Cheesy speeches, Terraists, naive conspiracy story, space Jews, space Germans, shitty animation, uninspired music (no, classical music doesn't make something great). There is nothing really noteworthy in LOGH.
>>
When it becomes mainstream, stops its excessive fanservice and moe fad, and has serious intellectual minds begin working on it.

So absolutely fucking never. Which is fine, I'm ok with anime's place within the world of art. It wouldn't really be anime if all the above happened.
>>
>>100363760
Boku no Google
>>
Either Patlabor movie 2, if you want narrative and cinema, or Akira, which I would hold as the most revolutionary anime movie in terms of animation.
>>
>>100363643
Evangelion is top 5 best anime though, as someone who doesn't have Citizen Kane in his top 100 favorite films.
>>
>>100363804

So, I take it that you've never actually paid attention to the story and just cherrypicked the visuals/sounds presented to justify that statement.
>>
>>100363788
>Do you know the amount of people who have an interest or give half a shit about The Epic of Gilgamesh compared to something like The Song of Fire and Ice?
Do you know the amount of people who have an interest or give half a shit about The Song of Fire and Ice compared to something like The Epic of Gilgamesh?

>It's culturally irrelevant.
Wow. Just... wow. Authors have been borrowing from these old epics since they were first written. They are practically cultural cornerstones in terms of literature, symbolism, etc. To claim that something like The Odyssey is culturally irrelevant is a claim made purely out of ignorance.
>>
>>100363804
It's certainly campy and silly to a certain extent given that it's like 4 decades old, but if you're going to use those word to describe one, they obviously fit Citizen Kane much better.
>>
>>100363888
Oh, I did pay attention. It was silly and naive. And do you really think visuals and sound isn't important? We are talking about film, not book. Story is secondary in film.
>>
>>100362806
IM SRS
>>
Where's the mods?
This isn't allowed.

This is the equivalent of going to /v/ and asking "What's the Evangelion of video games"
Shitty tertiary thread unrelated to the board.

>>>/tv/
>>
File: 1373141295815.gif (1.74 MB, 300x290)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB GIF
>>100363157
>Projecting this hard.
>>
>>100363788
Tsoiaf is shit. /lit/ agreed, don't bother anyone about it.
>>
>>100363863
Top 5 out of the 5 animes that you've watched, right?
>>
>>100363944
But they don't. Citizen Kane is far more realistic and grounded in reality than LOGH. It has far better cinematography, better, more powerful performances and tells a story more important than LOGH.
>>
>comparing a film to a 100+ episode OVA series.
>>
>>100364036

What? How does that relate to my post?
>>
>>100363845
>No results found for "wasn't the contemporary of his time"
Congratulations, no-one else on the internet has misused the word 'contemporary' as badly as you just did.
>>
>>100364026
Lol I can smell the butthurt from here

>>>/generic waifu thread/
>>
>>100364056
It's like you haven't seen LOGH at all.
>>
>>100363788
So because all of your friends have read Tsoiaf but haven't read Gilgamesh... that means that Gilgamesh isn't culturally relevant right? Because you and your friends determine what is culturally relevant or not?
>>
>>100364051
Obviously. I've seen more than 400 anime though.
>>
>>100364036
I've once browsed the archive for 2 hours and I still have no idea wha this retarded buzzword means
>>
>>100364098
sorry, meant to link to >>100363121
>>
File: 2414.jpg (140.74 KB, 455x483)
140.74 KB
140.74 KB JPG
>>100359241
Citizen Kane is at the place it is for it's groundbreaking and innovative production and use of new resources not used in films before it.

Anime already has something resembling it, as far as anime can go, it's called Akira.
>>
>>100364181
>projecting
>a buzzword
No.
>>
>>100364135
I watched it. It was too long and rather painful. I enjoyed some parts, but last two season sucked.
>>
>>100364235
And it's a good movie.
>>
Well, I'm about to download Citizen Kane. what am I in for?

I really like that campy stuff, since I grew up on The Three Stooges and most horror movies from that era.
>>
>>100364248
Why would you watch something that you don't enjoy?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (58.75 KB, 500x631)
58.75 KB
58.75 KB JPG
I'm a huge Orson Wells
>>
>>100364181
Projecting in this context means you are unconsciously 'projecting' your faults onto the person you are arguing with as an unconscious defence mechanism, it's basically a 'No U'.
>>
>>100364248
If you actually think Citizen Kane's story is more grounded in reality or more important, then you clearly didn't pay any kind of attention to it.
>>
>>100364297
It's not campy. But watching Citizen Kane without knowing something about the period is rather pointless. I doubt you will enjoy it that much.
>>
I wouldn't know, the oldest movie I've seen is Lawrence of Arabia.

And I only watched that for the glorious desert porn.
>>
>>100364342
Citizen Kane's story is based on a real guy's life.
>>
>>100364056
Sorry but comparing LoGH and Citizen Kane on "grounded in reality" is a stupid, retarded thing to do. LoGH is science FICTION. You can't compare a scifi that way to a movie with an actual, almost possible setting as Kane has and a, kind of simplistic plot, I find the plot of Citizen Kane simple and nothing special, is the way it's handled that make it a great movie.
Kane's wealth and influence is kind of unrealistic though.
>>
>>100364459
LOGH is about real government systems.
>>
>>100364414

Like I said, I'm familiar with that period in time.

I grew up on the original Dracula with Bela Lugosi, Dennis the Menace which occasionally played on some channels and the movie Psycho as well.

I can't really explain how or why I like it, but I feel in that era, people focused more on the acting part rather than the special effects.
>>
>>100364321

Too pass judgement on it of course.

Know thy subject before you start criticizing it. Speak not where one cannot speak.

Are you so immature that you think the only motivation for a person to watch/read/ do something is purely from a hedonistic sense?
>>
>>100360963
>Akira
Shame I can't find it on IRC. Might have to streamed it since I can't torrent/
>>
>>100363816
>stops its excessive fanservice and moe fad, and has serious intellectual minds begin working on it.

>He thinks all anime is the same!

There are better works out there - it's a pity you've never come across them.
>>
File: 24.jpg (16.89 KB, 490x346)
16.89 KB
16.89 KB JPG
>>100364676
Sir you dropped this.
>>
>>100364593
Dracula is from 1931, Citizen Kane 1942 and Psycho from 60's. Honestly, I wouldn't really compare them. But yeah, old films are worth watching.
>>
>>100364498
>Kane's wealth and influence is kind of unrealistic though.

It really isn't.

And i you think so then that same argument could be leveled at LoGH which was almost absurd in the way it handled politics, space battles, the careers of the military personnel.
>>
File: tootsie.jpg (100.09 KB, 600x600)
100.09 KB
100.09 KB JPG
When will anime actually pull off a Tootsie?
>>
>>100359241
But Citizen Kane doesn't hold up anymore and wasn't all that good in the first place. Pretentious faggots just like to wank over it.
>>
>>100364498
Well, LOGH has convoluted plot and it sucks. Simple stories are the best.

>Kane's wealth and influence is kind of unrealistic though.
Who was William Randolph Hearst?
>>
>>100364676
Pass judgement on it? Why would you assume anybody gives a shit about your opinion on something?

Or are you that deep inside your own ass that you think you're getting ''intellectual'' by passing judgement on something personally?
Also, you have to keep in mind that media is made for entertainment purposes.
>>
What is the "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of Anime=?
>>
File: Rage.jpg (91.90 KB, 400x300)
91.90 KB
91.90 KB JPG
>>100362599
People like you are the worst
>>
>>100364888
>>
>>100364888
musashi gundoh
>>
File: fedora.gif (1.49 MB, 230x172)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB GIF
>>100364751

I always carry a spare good sir.

>>100364853

>doesn't hold up anymore

Only unlearned plebs interested in their own immediate gratuitous cultures think that.

>>100364871

I wasn't the one who said I watched it and didn't like it. I was simply pointing out that a person can and people do do things without enjoying it for purposes beyond mere gratuity.
>>
>>100364888

Right after The Man From Planet X anime and The Angry Red Planet

;_;
>>
>>100364814
>It really isn't.
Xanadu.
I'm really not arguing about LoGH, just said it is dumb to compare a scifi and argue "realistic setting" in there.
And I said before, the narrative of Kane is simple, is the technical aspects of film making involved in it what puts it as probably the best movie ever made (obviously having in mind the time it was made)

LoGH is nowhere revolutionary in the way anime is made. Akira is perhaps the closest equivalent in anime of what Kane did to film making.
>>
File: geist.jpg (23.61 KB, 400x275)
23.61 KB
23.61 KB JPG
>>100364888
MD Geist
>>
>>100362724
If he's talking about the original, unabridged text, he's got a point. The translated editions are easily readable though.
>>
>>100363121
You're saying that reading a classic literary work and liking it makes you strange? Why do you think people still read these thousand year old books to this day? If we're still reading the damn things, they must appeal to at the very least a decent amount of people.
>>
>>100365065
>the original, unabridged text
wow, yeah, no shit. How many high schools even teach Ancient Greek?

let alone Akkadian!
>>
>>100365011
True classics stand the test of time. If Kane was really as important as people say it is it will be watched and discussed 50 years from now, which it won't be.
>>
>>100365040
Hearst had his own castle.
>>
File: vertigo-2.jpg (293.08 KB, 1000x576)
293.08 KB
293.08 KB JPG
VERTIGO
>>
File: punk.jpg (392.22 KB, 1600x900)
392.22 KB
392.22 KB JPG
When will anime have its Dirty Harry?
>>
Kind of off topic, but I've always dreamed of an anime in the vein of boogie nights about hentai instead of 3D porn.
>>
What is the Gay Niggers from Outer Space of anime /a/?
>>
When will anime have its Броненосец «Потёмкин»?
>>
>>100365449
What is Yamato
>>
File: brokebackmountain-cartel.jpg (381.10 KB, 1079x1600)
381.10 KB
381.10 KB JPG
What is the Brokeback Mountain of anime?
>>
Anime is too derivative to compare it to film. Sorry, it's not on the same level. Especially nowadays.
>>
>>100365529
Junjou Romantica
>>
>>100365529
Free.
>>
>>100365531
You don't compare the selection to Citizen Kane, you compare it to the rest of anime to determine if it had a similar effect on its own medium to that of Kane's.

It would have had to visually innovate somehow.
>>
>>100361410
I was wondering about that too.

I'd like to see an epic western, done in anime form. Lone vigilante travels all over the USA, to seek revenge for the death of his family, to dispense justice, or something, and undergoes great character development in the process. Now if this could only be LoGH-length and size, it would truly be amazing.

Also I'd like it to be realistic and not have any magic, fantasy, or high-tech elements in it. I dunno, I'd just really like to see an anime-ified Good Bad and the Ugly.
>>
>>100365652
lel
such funny
much homosex
wow
>>
>>100365906
I'm not talking about Citizen Kane. Overall anime is rather derivative when compared to film.
>>
>>100366020
That's because it's a much smaller industry.
>>
>>100360033
I can appreciate what it did for cinema (even if it mainly ripped off and popularised 1920's German cinema) but the actual film isn't very interesting. The only guy I know to actually like it wears a fedora.
>>
>>100366110
Citizen Kane is more similar to Renoir works.
>>
>>100364853
It was and never will be pretentious to say Citizen Kane is a standard example of a good film. How much more of a pretentious faggot does one need to be to even say what you're saying on the other hand? Very much.
>>
>>100366110
And 1920's German cinema was pretty popular.
>>
>>100359411
I thought the Metropolis anime was anime's "Metropolis"?
>>
>>100361410
Gun Frontier
>>
>>100361410
Maybe not anime but a lot of western movies took a good deal of inspiration from Japanese samurai movies like Rashomon and Yojimbo.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (30.68 KB, 300x337)
30.68 KB
30.68 KB GIF
>>100361410
>>
>>100363788
>culturally irrelevant

Your ignorance and narrow mindedness is detriment to all that is good.
TSOIF is as culturally relevant as Twilight and Harry Potter, manufactured marketed fads that fade away in time.
>>
>>100366263
full on pleb
>>
>>100363788
>It's culturally irrelevant.
The very fact that people even still know what the Illiad or the Odyssey or Gilgamesh even is today, after thousands of years, is just a monumental testament to how ignorant and wrong you are.
>>
I want /lit/ and /tv/ to leave
>>
>>100366544
>Harry Potter
>SOIF
>market fads that will fade over time

but that's wrong nigga. Like it or not Harry Potter is now a world wide phenomenon that's going to be around for a long time. I don't really give a shit about it but it's plain to see that Harry Potter is going to be what Star Wars is today. It's not fading anywhere. ASOIF probably will though
>>
>>100366768
In fact, Harry Potter is so relevant that it’s at the center of Sino-Japanese politics.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/01/07/uk-china-japan-idUKBREA0609H20140107
>>
>>100365065
>The translated editions are easily readable though.
I think that kind of goes without saying.
>>
>>100366768
i was going to take you seriously
>>
>>100366768
Harry Potter has been around for, what, a decade+? Come back after a few hundred years to see whether you're point is correct or not.
>>
>>100366768
So what you're saying is Star Wars and Harry Potter, both recent franchises less than a century old, will be as culturally significant along the lines of The Epic of Gilgamesh, the Iliad, the Odyssey, the Divine Comedy, Don Quixote, Paradise Lost, and Faust?

If that is true, the late 20th and early 21st century (so far) will live on in history as periods of shameful cultural decline.
>>
only when an anime company is willing to take a chance will that happen.

if the show hasn't happened already then it likely will never happen.

on another note cowboy bebbop is probaly the closest we get to the good the bad and the ugly, and the main antagonist was a bit weak in that one.
>>
>>100367535
Not who you were replying to but I could maybe see Star Wars lasting that long (the original saga that is) especially since they heavily borrowed from all the old epics, and they're genuinely well done. Harry Potter I'm skeptical about. It was a good book series though, don't get me wrong.
>>
>>100362934
What? Enkidu was pretty cool too. And his death scene, I cry errytime ;_;
>Dat Gilgamesh being upset
>Searches for immortality
>Loses it
Post Enkidu Gilgamesh is suffering.
>>
>>100364888
Mars of Destruction.
>>
>>100367635
Harry Potter and Star Wars will never be considered literary. LoTR, the novels, on the other hand is slowly gaining this distinction. At least according to my prof, schools and textbooks are finally beginning to use it. Before this it was still considered pop fiction. Now we can use it in essays!

Really don't see that happening with HP or Star Wars. If it does, it won't be for a looooong time.



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.