[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG



Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



what exactly is the point of substance designer?
not trying to trash-talk it, just genuinely confused/curious

like why would you want to spend months mastering realistic substances and spend hours making things like this, which could just be found on hundreds of free texture websites in about 30 seconds? even with normal and roughness maps I don't see the point of trying to create something yourself when you could just go outside, take a picture, and spend half an hour in photoshop
>>
>>563969
because it can
>>
>>563969
>like why would you want to spend months mastering realistic substances and spend hours making things like this, which could just be found on hundreds of free texture websites in about 30 seconds?

someone has to make the textures dumbass
>>
>>563973
not sure if retarded or bait
>>
In it you make seamless tiles of displacement maps (along with all other maps and the texture) which you apply on any geometry. Its high reusability which improves ur pipeline because you actually don't have to spend hours on making all the geometry the textures and texture mapping.
>>
>>563969
because it's procedural..
thousands of variations with tweakable parameters
>>
basically what the latest guy said.

In substance designer, you're able to create tilable materials where you're able to tweak all parameters.

So, lets say I want to create a floor tile. I could use nodes to create everything from how many tiles, to the shape and nature. I could create procedural cracks, patterns, grout between each tile. and create all the different maps for it (normal/height/ambient occlusion/colormap).

you could even create parameters in which you can tweak in engine, without having to go back and redoing it all.

So lets say your boss says...no grout and he wants double the amount of tiles. plus he doesnt want cracks. you can go back and with a couple clicks do this.
>>
You can create an exact and precise texture, while photogrammetry limits you to what already exists, and that you have access to.

Once a base texture is created, you can easily derive multiple variations of it, and tweak them to reuse them for further projects.

The non-destructive workflow allows you to fine-tune textures to meet exact needs (Branches too small on a photoscan? Can't do much about that. In SD it's a five second solution.)

99% of free textures are of terrible quality. The remaining 1% probably aren't of what you need anyway (this is why you never see AAA using free assets).

While it takes longer to create a SD texture than it does to capture and cleanup photoscan data, the additional time isn't that significant for an experienced substance user, and comes with all of the aforementioned benefits.


Yes, there's a lower skill floor and better results in using photoscans over substances in some cases (as SW Battlefront evidences), but it's a bit of a case-by-case and the fight is definitely between those two. You can expect most textures in the future to be either photoscans, or substances supported by some zbrush. (Both have their downs and ups.)
>>
>>563994
>>563999
>>564000
that makes sense. thanks anons.
>>
>>563969

Why would you learn to model things which could just be found on hundreds of free 3d model sites in about 30 seconds?
>>
>>564010
0/10 you didn't even try




Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.